1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle: 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback 2DR Coupe
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Hello,

I'm having a difficult time trying to remove the coolant temperature switch connector (the big black wire connector), which is located at the back of the engine block next to the oil filter. I tried to take it out from under the car, but couldn't. Is there a way to remove this wire connector? I'm trying to replace this switch with a new one because the radiator fan is not working.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
My vehicle: 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback 2DR Coupe
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Hello,

I'm having a difficult time trying to remove the coolant temperature switch connector (the big black wire connector), which is located at the back of the engine block next to the oil filter. I tried to take it out from under the car, but couldn't. Is there a way to remove this wire connector? I'm trying to replace this switch with a new one because the radiator fan is not working.

Thanks!
Ehhhh.....

The sensor on the back of the block is oil pressure. Nothing to do with coolant.

There's two coolant temp sensors. One controls only the temp gauge (single wire, bottom-front of the distributor cap), and the other goes to the ECU, which also controls fan (located on the coolant hose housing).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not the oil pressure sensor. I'm talking about the cooling temperature switch that is located at the back of the B18A1 engine block. I have a pic of the new part that I'm going to replace below.

A big, black wire connector connected to this thing is what I'm trying to remove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's that simple to pull off then I should've replace it earlier lol. I tried to remove it from under the car for better clearance, but couldn't. I'll try again today. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most likely the rubber boot that surrounds the 2 wire connectors has hardened to 'rock' status. You will have to pry, chip and break it away until you free it from the wires. Then carefully pry the 2 connectors off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most of the people here are not familiar with the DA/DB sensors and locations. Theere should also be an oil temp switch in that area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I have where the coolant temperature switch is located on the angles below

Hood side

Under the car

I was able to reach the rubber from the hood and tried to pull it off, but couldn't; same with under the car. How can pry, chip, and break it away from either angle shown in the photos?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Take the oil filter off. You'll need to replace it. Use a hook type tool to get under the rubber and pull. It will probably split open. Look closely you will see that the rubber sort of forms under the sensor. Or take a blade to it and slit it down the side from one of the wires... Find a mechanic...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts