Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know how to fix the antenna on a 95 SE two door. When I turn off the radio I hear a sound as though it is going down but it doesn't. Can any of you guys tell me how to fix it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
your mast probably broke off. that happened to me like 2 months ago. i had it fixed free cuz my car is still under warrenty. im not really sure what the mast is cuz thats what the guy today me broke. i think its a plastic wire what sticks to the tip of the antenna and after awhile it just gets disconnected and therefore it wont push up or drag the antenna anymore.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was thinking the same because my 95 GS-R antenna goes up but instead of going down it makes a horrible scratching sound. Does anyone know what that is?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
the sound you hear is the motor running, but as said above the antenna isnt connected somewhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
my antenna has been making noises like somebody moving there bowels after white castle! My friend told me spray white lithium grease under the washer. I did that and now not only did not work but cant get rubber bushing back on now...has anyone ever tried an inside window antenna...do they work?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Greenvillian,

I had the same problem a while back, and realized that my mast had broken. I just went on Ebay and bought a mast for $25. The installation isn't very hard at all. You just need to pull the old one out, then feed the new one in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,
I have that problem too!!
but it is more like it the antena is stuck.
It does go up and down
but makes a scratchy sound
it seems that some part of the antena is dirty
i donno i want to fix it too
TELL ME HOW
please

·
Registered
482 Posts
if the mast isnt bent or broken there is a really easy fix. get a can of WD-40 and completely cover the antenna(as much of the antenna as you can get to) with it. make sure you hold something up to catch the overspray. then just power the radio on and off raising and lowering the antenna. repeat with the wd-40 as necessary.

·
Registered
482 Posts
if the mast isnt bent or broken there is a really easy fix. get a can of WD-40 and completely cover the antenna(as much of the antenna as you can get to) with it. make sure you hold something up to catch the overspray. then just power the radio on and off raising and lowering the antenna. repeat with the wd-40 as necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
me too!!! i hate it...its so embarrassing...whats a mast.
my antenna stays up but doesnt go down, and sounds like its farting

·
Registered
124 Posts
The antenna mast (the part you see from the outside of the car) is a telescoping metal post with a plastic cable inside. This plastic cable is longer than the antenna when fully extended and has small teeth on one side. The cable feeds down into a spool attached to the antenna motor (imagine a powered fishing reel). In an antenna that is stuck in the up position, the cable has snapped just before the antenna was fully extended. The big piece of the cable (part inside the shaft) is lodged (imagine the barbs on an arrowhead) against the openning of the metal tube the shaft sits in when retracted. There is no way to force it back down. The small piece of the cable (still attached to the motor) gets ground around by the gears making a lound noise. It can also come free of the teeth, so the only sound is the normal motor sound.

My antenna recently broke in the extended position. I ended up replacing the entire motor and mast assembly, because I was able to buy it cheap from a fellow TI member.

New masts by themselves cost $60+ from Acura or $20 - $30 on ebay. You can change the mast from the outside of the car by removeing the silver nut at the base of the antenna. I used a flat-head screw driver and a hammer. Just tap lightly in a counter-clockwise direction and it will come off. After it's off, you can remove the old shaft and feed in a new one (takes two people--1 to feed and 1 to turn on the radio). You can also remove the old shaft, compress all the way down, and cut out the plastic cable. This will solve the antenna up problem, but will leave you with and antenna that is always in the down position. I would have done this as a temporary fix, if I hadn't found the cheap motor/shaft so quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts