Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many posts about people lowering the car and everything, but no posts about how to drive a car that's so low. I'm planning to lower my car, but I have never driven a lowered car before. I was wondering how do you drive a lowered car? To me, it seems way different from a SUV.

Any tips and good stuff like that? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How low you talking about? And I assume you're talking about the obstacles of daily driving...right?

1.75"-2" drop for me... I steer around potholes & raised manhole covers, I go real slow at an angle going up driveway ramps (no matter how pissed off the people behind me get), take it slow through constuction zones. It's more of a "on-the-job-training" type of thing. You'll learn as you go.

As for "slamming "it... 3+ inches... that's a whole other story that I have no experience in and don't think I ever want to... I just don't understand how it's possible or even worth it other than looks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i agree with alex. i have a drop of 2 1/2 inches with a type r lip. so yeah it can get pretty brutal if you driving through a construction zone or your pothole infested downtown streets. I avoid driveways if i can. I drive everyday on the same roads from school or work so i know where my caution areas are. (sounds sad i know). but it is learn by action kind of deal. good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm planning to do a drop with Eibach Pro-kit. I'm driving stock and I'm already doing horrible!

Thanks a lot for the information and help.

·
Registered
745 Posts
yup if u dont know drive slow going up a ramp ? Remeber u so low ... Angles and if people are in the car lol make em get out before u drive down or up a ramp like a drive way or something lol Keep Tuning !

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
with the eibach prokit i th ink that you should have nothign to worry about. I am tucking the front tires on 195-50-15's and i still manage in the horrible streets of mn. good luck and of course show pics!

·
Registered
991 Posts
kakl on Feb/08/06 said:
Well, I'm planning to do a drop with Eibach Pro-kit. I'm driving stock and I'm already doing horrible!

Thanks a lot for the information and help.
With the pro-kit it shouldn't be much different from stock...
My teg is lowered 2.5in+ and I really don't think it's that bad to drive. I've only ever encountered one drive way where there was no way avoiding scraping the bottom of my bumper along the road to get out. I don't know how people do it with lips though...
My one friend's teg is lowered about 3.25in and he makes it fine in this pot-hole infested PA. The only carnage he has to deal with is a new oil pan every two years. His car is too low to be lowered for pure handling but at least it looks good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i always look at the driveway before i enter...determine how steep it is and then you can see how you will need to angle it...also, big speedbumps are a pain...the bigger the more angle

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also look out for the curbs, I have seen a friend scrape/crack his lip parking his teg. Pretty much you will have to drive slow for everything mentioned above. Speed bumps have be negotiated at an angle. I usually put my hazzards on when ever I get to obstacles my car won't clear normally, so as to give drivers some indication of me slowing down.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
my LS right now is a 3.5inch drop in the front and 3 in the back and i have no problems with daily driving. i go over every bump and dip slow (yes, i still can go over every bump) and i can ride through rough roads with no problems. of course i'm still on stock shocks so i will need new shocks...

·
Registered
222 Posts
platinumridah93 you must have the sprint xremes? That's what I had on my LS. All of these guys are right. Slow angles.. just remember that. When going over speed bumps, make sure your tires go over at all different times. My R is stock height and I still drive like I did in my LS. But, it's not a bad habit to get into.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
im lowered 2 inches. its common sense. dont think your hot **** and try to drive wrecklessly or fast especially in residential or city roads, just drive safe, go slow over speedbumps and sideways a bit up or down driveways and bumps.

now youd THINK freeways are where you can relax, but ive bottomed out NASTY style on a gay ass part of one of our washington freeways. not saying it will happpen to you but be constantly lookin for stuff like that, trust me at 60 plus mph it gets pretty sensitive.

dont stress out too much about it though, its fun, your car will look badass, youll feel badass, handling is also definately better.

and dont feel bad wen you do scrape, i still do some times, its almost unavoidable in some situations, anyone can tell you that. **** happens. and when you hit the nasty potholes and raises in the road, you learn from your mistakes and learn where they are so you hopefully dont hit em again.

thats about it

·
Registered
70 Posts
having a "lowered" car looks good but its pain..remember also at intersections sometimes its not always flat so thats when you'll have to go straight either really slow or drive at an angle.be careful with traintracks as well..if it snows try to drive on the main roads cause those are the ones that seem to be the most clean.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you lower your car, you're going to quickly learn 'how' to drive a lowered car lol. If you don't your shocks and bumper are going to be in a lot of pain. I still get caught sometimes on things I can't make it over or hear my tires rubbing. You just have to drive really slow and hope the people behind you aren't getting that mad

·
Registered
295 Posts
Parking: Watch out for curbs and parking blocks. I have a modest drop and a Type-R lip and I cannot clear most parking blocks or curbs.

Expansion Joints, uneven pavement, and pavement transitions: Some have enough of a dip in them to hit the bump stops (or in my case the bump stops and then the inside of my wheel well
).

Like everyone said, use common sense, ignore the people behind you honking at you to hurry up, and use angles where you can.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
wow. i cant believe someone even had to ask... anyways, like everyone will tell you, no more head on, it will be alll at an angle from here on out... good luck with your undercarriage...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.