Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Changed mine once. less than $2 from o'reilly's instead of 25 from the dealer.

I was loosing oil and after having it looked at, was told to replace it b/c oil was passing through the valve and getting sucked into the IM. So far i have not been loosing oil.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
TheGSRGuy on Dec/11/08 said:
That's what I suspected. It's a "lifetime" part, sorta like the cat converter and fuel filter.

Please tell me you are joking about the fuel filter...

Anywho I will go with this answer (sounds good and make cense.)

"The pcv should be replaced every 35,000 miles. Just cleaning the pcv is not enough. The part that fails on the pcv is the spring and cleaning it will do nothing. This part is cheap and can have a significant impact of gas mileage and on how smooth the car runs. Not the place to be cheap."

And that answer is from:

Answer

Thanks 97lsteggy

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Tried to change it.....failed miserably.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Changed mine once. I have a 2000 DB8, and changing it was a pian in the ass.

People commenting on how easy it is to replace should take note that on different Integra engines the PCV is located in different places; some are simple to replace, some are pretty much a B-I-T-C-H (unless you have REALLY small hands). Mine, unfortunately, fell into this latter category.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
You need to change it when is clogged. Take it out, shake it, if you hear ticking sound, that means the valve inside is still good, but if you shake it and got no sound, that means is clogged and should be replace. You should see improve gas mileage after replacing the valve.

·
Registered
921 Posts
codenamezero on Dec/12/08 said:
You need to change it when is clogged. Take it out, shake it, if you hear ticking sound, that means the valve inside is still good, but if you shake it and got no sound, that means is clogged and should be replace. You should see improve gas mileage after replacing the valve.

in addition, too much rattling can mean the spring has failed, if you rotate it (valve facing up, to valve facing down) and hear a click, its likely failed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok so I pulled it out and replaced it... It was stuck in the "open" position.

I thought something was up... The car seems to run smoother now too.

So for those of you that have not replaced your PCV, you might want to check it... (I have replaced mine two times since 26 DEC 2001.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
soundguy787 on Dec/11/08 said:
Quote: johnnykaye on Dec/11/08So you say you notice oil buildup... can we assume that you can remove it to see the gunk? If so just replace it, the plastic gets brittle over time. If you haven't got it out I say LEAVE IT ALoNE!!! I replaced mine once, what a pain in the A-S-S ! Reason was that it was the original but it cracked. 45 bucks total for the replacement hoses from an Acura dealer and the valve. Good thing though the hose to the breather was shot anyway.

My god! $45 to replace it? Pain in the ass? I typicly replace mine every time i do a tune up. Around $3- and if you need a hose goto Advance Auto and pick one up for $1 or so. Takes me all of 15-30 Seconds to do...
From my extreme to another!!!! Providing that the hose is still pliable and the plastic is not brittle, sure it takes only a minute to replace. True it's dirt cheap for the valve at Advanced Auto, or the like, but as for OEM ho$e$...

Glad you found the problem and tackled it with no problem eaglemhf.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What it is? Let me check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced mine over the weekend. The biggest PITA I've ever experienced. The plastic hose part coming up from the crankcase broke and the old PCV was stuck to the connector. I ended up buying a foot of hose and re-routing it entirely. Now my PCV is easily accessible around my IM. Replacing it actually helped my idle, which was surprising. Part was $2.19 at Auto Zone. Took me a few hours to complete the task, because it's nearly impossible to get to without taking out your IM.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
how is it a pain in the arse? its so simple..........use your finger tips and peel the hose slightly off and it will come right off....

after 85k miles, there was still a very slight tick when shuck, sprayed some carb cleaner in it and its ticking nicely now..

i bought a new one anyways...15 bucks from dealership ahha i got owned

·
Registered
676 Posts
NEVER!! just put to your mouth and blow adn suck, its a one way valve, it you can blow and suck its bad.
This is the test experts do.

My G3 with under 100k went on auto gas pedal that I had to move it to Neutral. Then the manifold was cleaned and the mechanic had me change the PCV after his mouth test.

It is cheap - yes getting it off the hose is tricky - so I removed from the engine first and then just twist - it break loose - some threads:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/78194-how-change-pcv-valve.html

RockAuto has it too.

It should be part of the tune up: Air filter, PCV .... anything else to add to the list?

Replacing the hose, need to be careful on the product - there are some poor quality for this purpose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's about $20 shipped for the PCV valve and all hoses from rockauto or about $40 from the Acura dealership. Assuming everything else is in good repair i wouldn't replace it more than once every 60-80K as part of a regular maintenance regime. Also I think that was a decade long necro...

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
This is the test experts do.

My G3 with under 100k went on auto gas pedal that I had to move it to Neutral. Then the manifold was cleaned and the mechanic had me change the PCV after his mouth test.

It is cheap - yes getting it off the hose is tricky - so I removed from the engine first and then just twist - it break loose - some threads:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/78194-how-change-pcv-valve.html

RockAuto has it too.

It should be part of the tune up: Air filter, PCV .... anything else to add to the list?

Replacing the hose, need to be careful on the product - there are some poor quality for this purpose.
It's about $20 shipped for the PCV valve and all hoses from rockauto or about $40 from the Acura dealership. Assuming everything else is in good repair i wouldn't replace it more than once every 60-80K as part of a regular maintenance regime. Also I think that was a decade long necro...

:popcorn: 9 years 6 months 7 days later

21 - 40 of 41 Posts