Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know off hand approx how much stock tires at stock inflation add to a rim?

And does inflation add weight?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well i dont know how much they actually weigh but there is something simple you could do that maybe slipped by you. maybe you already thougt of this too, but you could weigh the wheel and tire inflated on just about any type of scale. then just subtract the weight of the wheel from the amount you just measured.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I plan on doing that. I know what my wheel is supposed to weigh. I actually went as far as bringing all the materials downstairs, to the teg, even the scale and... couldn't find the tire iron... bleh! I'll get to it soon

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you're lucky you have Konig wheels because they're nice enough to list the weights on their site...

But strangely enough, it only shows 15's and 17's for that wheel. You sure you have 16's?

15's weigh 12.42 while 17's weigh 15.9. That's damn light for 17's. Maybe they meant 16? Otherwise, I'd estimate your rims weigh around 14-14.5? All in pounds of course.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i am sure i have 16's, they don't have the silver ones on the site anymore, but i got them from discount tire direct, which still sells the 16" silvers.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
damn! mine aren't on there! oh well, they are pretty light for 16" rims, compared to my 14" steelies!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Tires weigh more than wheels if you have light weight rims. My new set of Azenis tires in 195/60/14 weight in at 20lbs each belive it or not!

As long as the performance is there, don't worry abou the weight of te tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a different questions since were on this topic, does anyone know what the weight is on a 14" steelies without tires of course. I just wanted to compare cuz my 16" oz superturismos feel heavy and like they slow down my car, and they way around 17lbs

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I figure as far as getting light weight rims is concerned, it would really be best to get some ultra-lightweight 17" rims that weigh around 15lbs with some very low profile tires and you will end up weighing less than my 11 lb 15"s...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Louse76 on Sep/23/02 said:
So I figure as far as getting light weight rims is concerned, it would really be best to get some ultra-lightweight 17" rims that weigh around 15lbs with some very low profile tires and you will end up weighing less than my 11 lb 15"s...
not necessarily... along with the complete weight of the wheel/tire combo, you must also consider where the weight is located in terms of distance from the fulcrum (in this case, the center of the wheel) to determine how much force it takes to turn them... the 17" rims will have their weight further away from the center, making them more difficult to turn (all other things being equal)

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
swiftllamagone on Sep/23/02 said:
Quote: Louse76 on Sep/23/02So I figure as far as getting light weight rims is concerned, it would really be best to get some ultra-lightweight 17" rims that weigh around 15lbs with some very low profile tires and you will end up weighing less than my 11 lb 15"s... not necessarily... along with the complete weight of the wheel/tire combo, you must also consider where the weight is located in terms of distance from the fulcrum (in this case, the center of the wheel) to determine how much force it takes to turn them... the 17" rims will have their weight further away from the center, making them more difficult to turn (all other things being equal)
Good to see someone remembers their physics!

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True true...

BTW, I don't remember physics too well, and this is why...

By this point in high school I had started working and was just pretty burnt out. I passed the class by doing "extra credit". The school put rat traps in the celing that consisted of a vat of glue. Of course they were not responsible enough to take them out at regular intervals. Well the teacher offered a hefty bit of extra credit if I was to pull them out. So I put on a plastic glove, get up on the teacher's desk, move away part of the celing, and put my hand up there to grab a rat. I didn't know that they were in a vat of glue, so I put my hand directly in the glue, it gets stuck, I pull it out, and here I am on top of the teacher's desk waving my hand around stuck in glue with a dead rat on it. I'm yelling every obcenity I have ever heard and I think I'd even made some up... I made a sailor look like a choirboy. Anyhow, I finally get my hand free. I go outside and try to puke but I hadn't eaten anything yet... boy does that hurt.

...and that was only the first rat! But did I pass? Yes
!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Ironically you would think that a lower profile tire would have less weight since there's less rubber right? Not necessarily true since they need more re-inforcements on the sidewalls and thats one of the reasons why they ride stiffer than larger profile tires also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts