Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people actually trust the dealer wont rip u off, like for a major services costs more than thousand of dollars....and why is goin to the dealer and change ur oil different than goin to local shop to change/change it ur self beside they are "trained"

and wut is the most expensive tune up u did at the dealer?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I plan to go to the dealer soon for my timing belt/water pump/drive belt change. The reason I'm going to the dealer for my timing belt change is because for peace of mind. Timing belt change is one of the most crucial, important part of the engine and I wanna make sure it's done right and oem acura parts are used. Plus u get a loaner RSX to drive around...:) For everything else I'll go to a local honda shop.

RPM

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I was skeptical about doing my own timing belt, but once I did it, I wouldve been really pissed if I had paid someone $400 labor to do it.. it took me 2.5 hours, from start, to finishing clean up, and that included many cigarette breaks.. I do feel that I am very mechanically inclined though.. Still, wasnt that hard.. read the article on c-speedracing.com .. helped me quite a bit, and saved me $400

·
Registered
975 Posts
i have been to my local dealer, i mean timing belt and water pump and hey i dont have much time to do stuff part of the work hours and any free time i have is for stuff around the house helpping out. I mean i also took my car to get my tranny rebuilt. i know u guys might think its stuoid why not go to a local shop but i looked at the pros and cons, i mean i got a good deal and the work was done by one of the guys who has worked and done and overhaul on an NSX, also the parts where backed ordered and i was given a car to drive around till i got her back. i was without my teg for a month and half, due to parts on back ordered mainly the main shaft and the syncroson 2nd gear. also i wasnt affraid to leave my car there since it was in a locked down area and i know the guys there they are all good people and they let me check out the work progress on my baby. I mean i do the min things like oil change and part installs on my car but as for some things i have to get done at the dealer just cause i rather have it looked at by the guys who are the only people who have worked on the car since i got it. i mean i have to take her in for a tune up very soon, spring time is comming ...

·
Registered
638 Posts
dealers always know whats "best" for your car specifically, because they dont have fords chevys, ect comin in. one main specialty, but I would be a little sceptical anyways, local import/honda shop would be the best!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think the peace of mind that comes from going to the dealership is because you know they aren't going to f**k up, and if they do they fix it. Big Al's probably won't spring for a new tranny if he cracks the case and then JB welds it back together hoping you won't notice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If u ask them what they really do, most of it is just "inspecting/observing" which translates to you dropping lots of cash for them to look at a few thigns and top off your fluids.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm a technician at a honda shop and here's my input.
There are pros and cons to bringing your car to a
dealership, if you choose to.
Pros-

1. We see nothing but your type of car all day, everyday
for years and pretty much master all types of a different
work that may need to be performed on your car.

2. We back up our work 100%, were as if something were
to go wrong it is covered.

3. You have the option (at most dealerships) of recieving
a loaner car if yours is in the shop for a long period
of time.

4. We use OEM parts, which are the best parts for your car.

5. We have easy access to recalls, and perform warranty
work for your car if neccessary at no charge to you.

Cons -

1. We tend to be more expensive because we use OEM parts,
and have trained technicians that know what they are
doing with your car.

2. I work at a big dealership, and it gets really
busy there, so sometimes you might have to wait
1 hour to 2 hours just for an oil change.

3. Most dealerships have techs that work on a flat
rate pay scale, and that sometimes could create a problem. When your'e working flat rate, the faster
you work the more money you make. This leaves a lot
of room for some technicians to do half ass work,
and or forget to do a thorough job with your car.

I think if I didn't work in the automotive field, and
I knew what I did about dealerships I would still
bring my car to one. To me the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
allmans teg is right. i dont work at a honda dealership or anything but alot of my friends do so i hang out there alot. they actually do a really good job on customers cars. on weekends it takes awhile for your car to get finished because thats when most people are free to bring their cars there. and yes you should get a peace of mind having your car done right at the dealership

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think it really depends. I've had work done at dealers and shops, both major and minor work. I had a tranny shop replace a clutch and the guys were very cool about letting me come in and check on the car and even offered to give me the old parts so I knew I wasn't getting scammed. 1.5 yrs later still no problems. Then there's the Honda/Ford dealership near my college which I wouldn't dare let do any work b/c they give me that NASCAR, hotrod vibe. I've also had a Honda dealer do timing belt/water pump change (different dealer)and do a really good job. As well as an ACURA dealer that wanted to charge me $400 for a flywheel when my clutch went out rather than resurfacing before they even looked at the flywheel/clutch which is why I took it somewhere else.
My point: don't diss a shop b/c they're not the dealer and don't trust a dealer just b/c they're a dealer, it's all about the PEOPLE working on the car. If you care about your car then talk to the people until you can make your own judgement.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it's the winter I'll let the dealer do the repairs since I only have the 1 car available. If it's summer I'll tend to do the repairs myself since I have 2 other cars to drive then. What I do is take my car in to see what's wrong, get the OEM acura parts then do it myself and bring it back to be looked at if I want to make sure. That way I only spend maybe $60-75 rather than the hundreds for labor.

Of course so farI've only had one time that I needed anything done to the tranny or engine so I had the dealer do it (replacing the tranny after the reverse gear went). Them looking at what I would have fixed in that case wouldn't save me anything since they'd have to take it all apart again anways so I let them do it.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I trust my dealer 110%. Yes they are a lil more expensive, but I have been going there for 10 years so they know me and cut me deals.

I have been doing a lot of my own work lately so its either more or them working on my tegs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not to go off topic but can somebody please tell me about how much they would charge me at the dealer to get the t belt, water pump and all other belts changed. It's almost time for me to get it done so I just want to make sure I have enough.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I have a really good dealership nearby that if I ever was too lazy or didnt have time to do something myself I'd use in a second. As it is, the only person I really trust working on my car (at least now thats theres a chunk of money in it), is me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts