Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just got my CV shafts replaced on my 1998 Integra LS and the mechanic told me my lower left ball joint seems a little loose and should be replaced. I was looking for the part online to save some costs but got confused as to which part to buy. Does my car have front and back and upper and lower ball joints on each wheel? How many ball joints does my car have exactly? Also should I have them all replaced at the same time? Thanks in advance. Hoping to get this fixed in the next week or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Upper and lower each side at the front only. They allow the knuckle to pivot so you can steer. Which is nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upper and lower each side at the front only. They allow the knuckle to pivot so you can steer. Which is nice.
Thank you for the quick reply. Is it worth doing all 4 then both uppers and lowers on each side since I'm going to be getting at least one replaced anyway? Going to be looking at getting new shocks at some point as well (I think) so I'm wondering if I should try to do all the ball joints and shocks at the same time. My car squeaks loudly when I go over speed bumps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also have you checked your bushings in the lower control arms? Sway bar links see if they are there?
i don't have a jack or proper tools to work on it myself. just shopping around for parts online to save costs when i pay the mechanic to do it. are you saying i should wait on the upper ball joints until i'm ready to also purchase the upper control arms?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i don't have a jack or proper tools to work on it myself. just shopping around for parts online to save costs when i pay the mechanic to do it. are you saying i should wait on the upper ball joints until i'm ready to also purchase the upper control arms?
The upper control arm will come with new ball joints. You can find cheap replacement if your sticking with OEM non adjustable ones. The lower ball joints are the ones that need to be pressed in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got an older car. It be a good idea to invest in some tools and such to work on minor things with the car. There are plenty of videos on how to’s with our cars. Unless you have money to pay the mechanic.
thank you i learned a lot about my suspension today and cars in general. helped a lot. i have a very small apartment and no garage space and my teg actually got broken into 3 times last year when covid broke out and they stole all my tools so i'm having to rely on a mechanic. also i don't want to go under my car alone with the cheap jack that comes stock in the trunk lol. i'm not really a car guy but i enjoy learning about my car. it's against the rules to work on our cars in our parking spaces at this apartment i am at. i can't really afford the mechanic but that's my only option so i just need to try to prevent any catastrophic failures before they happen.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
thank you i learned a lot about my suspension today and cars in general. helped a lot. i have a very small apartment and no garage space and my teg actually got broken into 3 times last year when covid broke out and they stole all my tools so i'm having to rely on a mechanic. also i don't want to go under my car alone with the cheap jack that comes stock in the trunk lol. i'm not really a car guy but i enjoy learning about my car. it's against the rules to work on our cars in our parking spaces at this apartment i am at. i can't really afford the mechanic but that's my only option so i just need to try to prevent any catastrophic failures before they happen.
Gotcha. Search around the internet on brands and such that you need for your style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rule 1 is don't go under the car with just a jack. Any jack isn't enough, esp the dodgy scissor jack they come with. You'll get dead doing that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rule 1 is don't go under the car with just a jack. Any jack isn't enough, esp the dodgy scissor jack they come with. You'll get dead doing that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
yeah i have a buddy that got squished when a car fell on him when he was working at a shop so i don't trust ANY jack to be honest. he survived but went through years of issues.

besides that... after getting my CV shafts replaced i'm still hearing a crunching/popping sound coming from the left side when i do U-turns... and the shop recommended my ball joints.. but does that signal my tire end rods might be bad too? and a ton of squeaking from the right side when i go over bumps and that may be a strut/shock issue? i'm hoping it's the ball joint too. just wish i could actually see what's happening with my old car because i would have to sell this one to afford a different car. obviously you guys can't see what's up with it online but just want to get as many tips as possible. the shop is gonna do my lower ball joints both sides for $300 (they said $240 if i bring the parts) or like $160 just for one side.. i know i'm talking about an old 1998 but it's a sweet ride. engine itself hasn't given me any problems yet. 200k miles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You will need an alignment after they replace one of the lower ball joints. If you can afford it right now, I would replace the lower ball joints on both sides so you only have to pay for the alignment once. Hopefully your mechanic was thorough and identified the lower ball joint as the only issue on left side. If you have to take a car to a separate shop for an alignment, you could ask the alignment guy to double-check the front end and to wait on doing the alignment if he sees any other problems. It's best to get all the suspension work done before you get the alignment so that only pay once and also don't ruin your tires.

Squeaking while going over speed bumps can be caused by a number of things. In the Midwest (rust belt) it's commonly caused by rusty pivot bushings or the spring rubbing against the shock perch or the hat (upper shock mount). Your weather is a lot better in San Jose, but based on the cars age, I'd still take a look at those two things first. You could buy a can of silicone spray and use it to spray the top and bottom of the spring and the upper and lower control arm bushings (keep the spray away from the brakes!) to see if it quiets the squeaking. If it helps, it won't last forever. The silicone will wash away after a couple heavy rainfalls and you'll need to reapply.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you can save up I would get a whole new front LCA that comes with new bushings. Upper UCA with bushings and ball joints, and your lower ball joints. That will take care of all the front end bushings that tend to go bad. It’s an older car. You don’t need name brand unless you want but just some replacements while you can. Just my thoughts.
I overhauled all my bushings front and rears on my 99. Car feels solid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
was wondering if i can lube up my shocks and sounds like i can try. i might get one of those snake camera tools to look at the bushings and all since i don't have a lift. my breaks are new too. got them done at the same shop as my CV's. i might be spending too much on labor. gotta try to do it all at once like you guys said. uca and lca are upper and lower control arms?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
UCA= Upper Control Arms. Ball joints are pressed in from factory. Adjustable or Non adjustable is up to you.
LCA= Lower Control Arm. Comes with bushings pressed in already. Your choice on material and what you want to do with the car.

OEM or equivalent is good also. If your just daily driving and knowing that you have new bushings. I replaced both whole front LCA and compliance bushings while I was there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rather see you go to the shop one more time with all the parts you need. If it’s clunking and making noises there some other things going on.
When I did my front, I went with Ktuned LCA, UCA, inner and outer tie rod, and lower ball joint. OE replacement hub and bearings. HardRace compliance bushing.
thanks again. if i am correct then i basically need this kit listed here, mind confirming that this has everything i will want for my suspension in 1998 integra LS? (minus the shocks and struts which i am still learning about as well). i might not buy this specific kit but i just want to make sure i am asking the mechanic for the correct parts so he can do it all at once.

suspension kit on amazon

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
thanks again. if i am correct then i basically need this kit listed here, mind confirming that this has everything i will want for my suspension in 1998 integra LS? (minus the shocks and struts which i am still learning about as well). i might not buy this specific kit but i just want to make sure i am asking the mechanic for the correct parts so he can do it all at once.

suspension kit on amazon
Yep that will replace all necessary bushings up front. That’s if you need them replaced. After replacing all those you will need an alignment.
Shocks and struts are abundance out there. Depending on if you want to lower the vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts