Team Integra Forums banner

how do i open up a shop??

1K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  br1t1shguy 
#1 ·
hey im in high school and graduating soon. my gaol in life is to own a tuner shop where i can work on all cars and sell parts and mods for em. does anyone know wat kind of schooling i will need or what i might have to do to get where i want. i know basic mechanics now but i want to learn more. any help here would be great and thanks.
-jay

#2 ·
Well Jason, start by searching for government grants for entrepenuers. The government will give you money to start a new business depending on the location and the type of business it is. You will also need to take out a substantial bank loan. Buy/rent a lot, have your shop built. You will have to be certified to work on cars. I have some links at home that you should read up on, about starting your own business. Anyone else?

#7 ·
I do not own a tuning shop yet but will soon. But I do own a beauty shop. My wife runs it and I just help her. It has actually been doing really well. BUt I plan on openeing my own tuner shop here in the not to distant future. I went to school and got business a business degree. I am saving up enough money so I can have less of a busniness loan. Find a spot have it built or lease out a strip mall unit. Than you will also need connections for your parts. You will want to call around and get a dealer who will sell you stuff cheap so you can make some profit off the sales. Most of your profits will come from installations and labor. once you have everything you will need some employess and business licenses. It is not that hard. We actually had a group of people who worked at our shop leave and open there own shop across town and they are making it just fine. But I tell you that you need to research and find products for cheap. Get some business classes so you can have a better idea on how to run it. It worked for the salon and should work just fine for my shop.

#8 ·
If I were to open up a tuner shop, I would learn how to tune first.
I would work with someone with a tuner shop for experience. Cause you don't to open up a shop and get blown away by the competition cause they are better tuners.
Two types of shops in my eyes, tuning or ricer (show stuff). Which one were you looking at?
Also while you are working for others, you are getting together money. You need some capital. ect, ect....

#12 ·
TheGSRGuy on Feb/18/04 said:
If you open a shop, you might do better just hiring mechanics to do all the work -- that way you don't need to know how to do everything.
I wouldn't do that. I would want to know as much or more than them, to keep tabs on them.

I would go business route with some mechanics during the summer. I'm looking into ASE certification for the summer, I'm a fast learner to make some money. The more education you get, it dosen't matter if your shop fails, you can always have something to fall back on.

#13 ·
i want to be able to work on cars and own my own place. i still would hire some mechanics tho for help. wen i go for a loan though how does the bak replay saying im opening up a tuner shop for making cars go faster be louder and look nicer?

#14 ·
I beleive you would request a small business loan and they will tell you how much they will give you. But don't expect much. Banks love collateral, like if you own a house, they will loan more. Cause if say I'm 18 right now, open up a shop, buy all the equipment, and it fails, they can't get any money back.

#15 ·
Also do not forget to scout the area you plan to open your shop at. Opening a import garage in a town full of fords . . . you get my point.

#16 ·
The problem isn't always opening one but staying open. Theres been numerous shops here go broke or into debt and have to close shop.

Starting with an internet shope may be the better way to go. A lot less bills to worry about.

#17 ·
yeah, i work at a bank and trust me its not easy anymore to get loans. i mean if an 18 or even a 25 year old guy cam in wanted a loan unless they have something to use as backing for the busness chances are HELL NO... i know it sounds stupid but the bank doesnt wanna take a risk on something if its got no backing. I know here they require u to fill out a some sort of buisness form and it covers a load of questions on type of buisness. theres a load of questions i cant rem them. but man i say if theres alot of people in ur area and u know it can grow then perfect. i knwo one guy he opened a shop its a import shop but not just import he does oil changes on other models like Domestic Cars, he covers general work as well on cars i mean u do have to try to keep it open and not only lock out the others and just welcome imports.. i know i may sound a little off but just my 2cents

#18 ·
It seems that the best way to go about it would be 1)start working in a shop and take classes to get ASE certified, or you could just go take the tests after you learn enought to pass them. 2)Keep your job and start taking business management classes at night. 3)Apply for enough loans to start this company. While you are working for that shop you should build up some connections on parts. You can also contact companies like AEM and Golden Eagle and inquire about their dealer programs. Then pick a popular spot, like where the local imports meet and rent some space in the strip, or buy your own lot and build your shop. Remember lifts, tools, and parts are going to cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars. You might want to look into getting some investors.

#22 ·
Yes, you that is why you need a mad loan because you have to buy all the equipment, parts, computers, racks, and stock your store with some aftermarket parts. I would not open it until you know everything, ASE certified, business degree or atleast certificates, and have researched the area. And that is a good point about keeping your options open. Our shop works mainly on imports but we do everything. Oil changes, radaitor flushes, tranny flushes/drain and fills, tire rotations, brakes, alignements (if you want to pay for a rack), hell If someone comes in and wants a new transmission in '98 Ford Excursion we do it. We do everything and it helps business even though most of our customers are for imports.

#24 ·
yeah definitely. Remember that location is extremeley important in starting up and maintaining any business. Make sure you choose an inviting, accessable location with enough parking to satisfy your needs. Think about where u choose to buy things... Usually a place as convenient as possible. If your store is reliable and convinient that you have a potent combination. Also broaden your focus a little. An upstart place like that could use some steady income (ie oil changes basic maintnence). Welcome domestics as well as imports until you get a strong footing and customer base and then start to focus more on imports if u want to. Also remember that advertising is essential to any business. If you are serious about starting a shop you should be thinking of unique (and hopefully cost efficient) ways of getting your name out there and being noticed. Eye-catching and unique advertising could set u apart from the rest and lead to a booming shop...

just some thoughts

#25 ·
Just so that everybody knows...75% of businesses fail within the first year...90% within 5. Given that Im in alabama, but all the same, I love it when somebody opens up a shop and then they wonder why they dont meet their goals like they had hoped to. Maybe its because Im not going to pay retail +tax when I can get it much cheaper shipped to my house. Everybody acts like "oh but you have to pay shipping....shipping is less then 10% tax 99.5% of the time. Not trying to kill anybody's dream, just trying to keep reality alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.