Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used replica type-r front lip that needs some reapair. There are about 3 minor cracks in it. I searched online and I know that there is plastic repair glue or some kind of substance that can be used that might help seal the cracks. I was going to check some kind of hardware store to see if they had something but haven't gotten around to it. I was wondering if anybody has had to do this before and have some advice or reccomendations on what to use so when I do go looking for something, I can look for something specific. Keep in mind that it is the plastic\urethane lip. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If they are cracks I would go pick yourself up some duramix plastic repair and some mesh matting. Clean the whole area with like a prep solvent meant for plastics.

1. You need to take a dremel and bevel all along the crack so that it looks like \/ on the back side. You could even drill small holes in a couple spots along the crack.

2. Lay a bead of the duramix along the crack on the back side then put a square of mating on the of that.

3. Cover the matting with the plastic repair and make sure that it bonds to the surface very well. If you drilled some holes make sure that you force some through to the front.

4. Sand down the front and you could use some bondo for plastic to smooth it down.

If I think of any other details I will add them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You can probably use the Duramix for the front also. Sand down the crack on the front first before applying the mix.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Is it ABS plastic? If so, check your local home depot or Lowe's for some ABS cement. It's a mixture of ABS plastic and acetone. Acetone dissolves the plastic and chemically bonds it together before evaporating, so it will be like one piece of plastic again. But, you have to sand off any paint where you are bonding it together, because the acetone won't react with paint.

Glue won't be near as effective. When 95blkinteg said melt the two sides together, this is the only safe way you could do that.

You could either use the ABS cement, or an MEK solution. I used this method instead of fiberglassing for some interior dash work, and it works great.

If it's not ABS plastic, sorry I don't know.

Just one thing, you have to be careful not to overdo it with the acetone, because it will melt any plastic it comes in contact with. And if you can't find that solution, you can just use acetone, or even mix small bits of ABS in there and make your own cement.

Never mind, I see that you said it's 'plastic/urethane' so this method will not work :(

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
make sure you drill a pinhole at the end of the crack to prevent it from getting bigger before you mess with it at all. If you have access to Chloroform, it will dissolve and rebond urethane like Thrasher865 said.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
the way i repared my lip since it cracked on the side where it makes a 90 degree angle to go behind the bumper was i used a soldering iron to melt the plastic together, its going strong for me still.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To repair some cracked bike fairings I had *warning ghetto fix ahead* used some mesh, (I think it was used for fibreglassing) use a soldering iron with zip ties and melt / fill in a large portion of the crack after preping it (drilling out the end of the crack, sanding etc), then I used some 2 part epoxy to fill in the rest, got it as best I could, waited a day to ensure that it had cured, hardened, and sanded it down

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm the process of doing this myself...I just finished sanding my lip last night and now it's ready for high build primer to cover the imperfetcitons...Here are the steps I took...

1. Sanded the whole lip with 300/220 grit sand paper
2. Cleaned the whole lip with semi wet rag
3. Apply Plastic Welding epoxy on crack (bought at AutoZone)

Next Day...

4. Sand down to flush excess epoxy on exterior of lip
5. Spray High Build Primer on lip to fill imperfections/scratches
6. Light sand lip again
7. Wipe down again with wet rag to clean before step
7. Paint with color of choice

In my case, I wanted the black bumper oem look so I got bumper trim paint.

I also did not drill a hole on end of crack as recommended by some.

If you guys wanna see pics, let me know...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.