Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not to good with subs and all that good crap, and I was needing to know how I would hook my mono channel MA Audio Amp to my capacitor, and to my 15" SPL comp sub? Can anybody explain to me how to do this?
Thanx

·
Registered
655 Posts
just put the cap in between your power wires and your amp.

"+" power wire from battery ~~~~> "+" terminal on cap ~~~~> "+" or source on your amp.

"-" or ground from amp ~~~~> "-" terminal on cap ~~~~> "grounded somewhere on your teg's frame.

Not too bad is it? Kinda like if your VCR and your TV. Cable jack to line in on VCR, line out on VCR to TV... etc. You get the point, if you need pics I will do my best to get some to ya. Good luck!!

EDIT: BE CAREFUL THOUGH!!! The terminals on a cap are usually closer than they are on your car battery (unless digital). (They were within 2 inches of each other on my rockford fosgate cap). Meaning exercise caution when wiring, don't want positive and negative to touch eachother when wiring, etc. or bye bye cap... or your hand!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
wait, you parallel the cap into the sterio wiring... the VCR example sounds like you want them in series. sorry, i got confused, figured i'd say something

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yeah, make sure to charge and grab the terminals to make sure it works :p.

P.S. Dont do this lol

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Ground the cap to a ground not the amp. Then you charge the cap with the resistor that came with it. Hold it on the + of the cap with the wire from the batt. only do it for like 2 secs. It will get hot and smoke. Then hook up that wire to the + on the cap and run another one from the + on the cap to the + on the amp.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
acuradriva on Sep/29/02 said:
Ground the cap to a ground not the amp. Then you charge the cap with the resistor that came with it. Hold it on the + of the cap with the wire from the batt. only do it for like 2 secs. It will get hot and smoke. Then hook up that wire to the + on the cap and run another one from the + on the cap to the + on the amp.
Just to let you know My audiobahn cap has a built in resistor so it's automatic charge and discharge.

Best thing to do read the manual because some caps are different from each others. You want to tap in the (+) wire to the amp after the dist. block if you have one install, if not dont worry about it. (-) to ground (doudle check the resistor if it has a built in or not before you hook up the ground).

·
Registered
85 Posts
May be a charging prob...hopefully for you its not...i have a bd1500 fosgate sitting in its box waiting for another battery (stinger marine type) still on order...then i am hooking up a power block and an isolator so that the alternator can charge both batteries without putting too much strain on the charging system

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
wow this post is exactly 1 year old. i got scared fora second because i didn't think i was that drunk that i forgot what i posted. then i looked at the year '02 lol.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
if your lights dim you probablly have your gains up too high. Could also be running too low of an impedence for the amp. or it may just be the voltage regulator on the alt takes a second to supply the right voltage. Caps usually don't stop dimming problems.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
vietsociety408 on Sep/30/03 said:
after hookin up my capacitor my head unit still dim any one know tha problem?
with out getting too angry at the fact that this has been covered about 30 other times if you search....try runnign a new ground right down to the frame of the car, and a new 12v constatnt wire directly from the battery to the headunit, using a solid, like say 16awg wire....that should help take care of your dimming head unit...if it still persists, then you are over drawing your car's electrical system and its time to go and get a wound alternator....

edit....
that is one way to solve the problem, all of the others are correct as well, dimming headunits, are usually a result of them being overdriven, without adequate power and ground....a hu only pulls about 15 amps max, thorough the power supply, but are you using the HU to power your interior speakers?

also what kind of head unit, and what kind of speakers, how are you set up, what gauge wiring is your amp, whatelse do you have running at the same time...

we can guess what your problem is all day long but it would be better if we had some more info to help identify the problem....

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
vietsociety408 on Sep/30/03 said:
after hookin up my capacitor my head unit still dim any one know tha problem?
Yet another reason to get a 4 channel amp and not use the deck to power your door speakers. Your drawing too much power from the deck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
here is wut i have
amp:ROCKWOOD AMP-4060 2 Channel Car Amplifier-2-8 Ohm Load Capability
head unit:alpine cda 9805
wiring:4 gauge earth quake wires
sub: 2 12" comp vr, 4 ohm each
capcitor: pyramid digital 1 farad

·
Registered
137 Posts
NeoSilverTeg on Sep/28/02 said:
just put the cap in between your power wires and your amp.

"+" power wire from battery ~~~~> "+" terminal on cap ~~~~> "+" or source on your amp.

"-" or ground from amp ~~~~> "-" terminal on cap ~~~~> "grounded somewhere on your teg's frame.
is it bad to ground the amp and cap like that? kind of like 'parallel' wiring. is it a disadvantage to ground it like that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some caps, like mine, have a remote turn on terminal. It is a digital 1 farad lightning audio. It is great though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts