Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 gsr and was wondering if hondata s200 and apexi fuel and boost controls system are similar... like if i bought the hondata s200, would i stil need the apexi vafc..

Dont know to much about this item..please help me..

·
Registered
217 Posts
no u dont, cuz the hondata has a built in v-tec controller, i like the hondata better cuz it is all in one but the downfall is that expensive for the unit and to program but it is worth it im goin to be putting in my hondata in a couple of months

·
Registered
156 Posts
where to start? with the vafc you use the vafc, 450cc injectors, and a large intank fuel pump. then you lean out the fuel, etc. etc. etc. now with the hondata you will need to get the hondata, larger injectors and larger fuel pump. but the hondata is a BETTER WAY TO TUNE A TURBO HoNDA. i am using the vafc hack and it is good, it's tuned and pulls strong, but i've talked to many people who made the switch form the vafc to hondata and it is truly amazing. i've seen old dyno's fomr the vafc and the new dyno's from the hondata and some poeple gain up to 40whp at the same psi just form having the correct fuel and ignition tables. hondata is where it is at. i am saving my money as we speak for the hondata unit. go to hondata.com and see some of their dyno charts and just read up on it.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Steve, welcome to TI. Please do a search, particularly in the FI forum and you will find vaste info about "piggy-back systems vs standalone systems."

That should be a good start.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 98' RS with I/H/E/C, high flow cat, Fpr, and a few more mods and I have a hondata s200 and personally I'm not impressed, smoothed out my curve, gave me like 150 hp to 7500 (redline) and 123 tq (had 147 and 122 tq without the s200) but for $1000 with parts and tunning wish I could take it back and want to sale it, also still needs more tunning at idle and part-throttle to rich and I'm out of money so I'm actually going to take it out and put my S-AFC back in till I get my head ported and block honed and up the compression, although for your case if you have the money and a turbo I have seen dyno's for turbo b18's and they are impressive some b18b's running at 10 psi 280 hp to the wheels and only at 7000 redline and at 8 psi 240 hp, also saw a few b18c's at like 10 psi with 300 something, but the point is not the numbers but the hp and tq curves where really smooth (no dips), also I heard that turbo cars are really easy to tune and take like 1-2 hours and the guys who tunned the cars told me that they see gains on the average after adding a hondata to a turbo car of like 30+ some like 40 as mentioned above.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Don't get too stuck on standalone systems adding power. Keep in mind that they are just tuning devices, not power adders like a cam or the likes.

If you get more power from adding a standalone, its just from proper tuning, not because you added the standalone.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
dellaire on Feb/18/04 said:
I have a 98' RS with I/H/E/C, high flow cat, Fpr, and a few more mods and I have a hondata s200 and personally I'm not impressed,
with all due respect this is your own fault- the stock ecu map is suffiecient for bolt ons like i/h/e/c that you listed, if anything the s100 would have been more than enouch for you app

the s100 with boost option is more than plenty for most ppl unless you plan to drag and need things like s three stage rev limiter, or full throttle shifting.
most people think that they need to buy top of the line of everything-

not true, in your case a $200 s100 system or teh vafc would have been enough until you got cams and upped compression.-- now if you are planning for the future that is a differnt story.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well Im getting hondata(hopefully) because A) I dont want to splice into my main wiring harness for the VAFC B) I like things out of sight(no vafc on my dash), C) I want to tune it and forget it. Ofcourse, I have no intention of doing more mods once I get hondata...it will be the last thing to come. Some people like to play with the setting so that they can get max power on any given day...if one day Im running 192hp and the next 189, thats fine with me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well I do have cams crower 404's and got the s200 for the future and because the s200 is only $50 dollars more and I was told by hondata that if you want to upgrade your s100 you can't you have to by a s200 system so I planed for the future. and integra366 if you want to get a hondata and get it tunned and leave it alone I think a s100 with boost it will be sufficent for your application, it will if I'm not mistaken have the same tuning capabilites as a s200 just without other little things for the all out racer, so to speak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.