Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm at the crossroads here. I just bought JE 9:1 pistons, Crower rods, and a knife edged crank. I bought all this because I blew my engine and thought I was going to have to rebuild it. Turns out I got it covered under warrenty and got a brand new engine. So now I don't know if I want to sell the internals and put the money tword a Hondata 2B or just wait till I blow this engine and then rebuild it stronger. I think that if I get the hondata it should last alot longer than with my fmu and fuel pump I have now. I just wanted to get your opinions on the matter. I already put the stuff on thepartstrader.com but I haven't sold them yet so it's not too late. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

·
Registered
126 Posts
go for the hondata. it's benefits greatly outweigh it's cost

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow- your engine was covered under warranty even though you had a T05 attached to it?!

I'd go w/ the Hondata, by the way. Wouldn't you be good to go w/ the rods & pistons?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
if you already have a turo why not rebuild and reinforce the guts and boost higher useing some other form of engine management untill you can get the hondata i would think thAt it would be less likely to blow up the engine with a good rebuild, if you go witht the hondata first the only thing between you and detonation is superior tunnning. isnt that rite guys ? i think that makes since in all honesty you shouldve did the rebuild before the turbo and you would still be on the first engine you got lucky as hell that they replaced it for you dont think they will do it again.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
this is just my opionion but i agree with integra15lb. if i decided to turbo my precious b18b1 the very very first move i would do is upgrade my internals. i dont care how much i was boostin it, i dont know, i guess i am very anal about this but i just have a thing for making sure whatever mod i do is not going to hurt my car, and if it is, that i prepare for it so it wont.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They probably took his old engine... And I would also go for rebuilding the engine. Save up for a hondata later, just make sure this current engine lasts : )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys. Don't think I got lucky because I spent three weeks of hard work to make my car look like it never had anything done to it. Even then it was a ***** to get it covered because it was an extended warrenty. I just hate to switch out brand new rods and pistons when there is nothing wrong with them. And no they didn't give me back my old engine. That was another idea I had was to buy a used block and build a second engine for racing. Then if anything happens to it I could just throw the stock one back in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
forget the hondata stage 2b all together you need something with launch and full throttle shift rev limiters. also if you get the hondata ecu you need to tune it to make it run safe which is fine but then what happens if you want to do an upgrade to the motor THEN IT NEEDS TO BE RE Tuned. And you need a wideband o2 to tune it not guess work. the hondata 2b installed and tuned is gunna run you more than $800

·
Registered
693 Posts
You have the weapons in the form of pistons and rods...If you choose to go the Hondata route you will not need your FMU. You could always get a aftermarket head gasket and head studs or even build your head with valves retainers and springs and your SET ! ALMOST....TUNE TUNE !

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
whitegsr on Sep/01/02 said:
forget the hondata stage 2b all together you need something with launch and full throttle shift rev limiters. also if you get the hondata ecu you need to tune it to make it run safe which is fine but then what happens if you want to do an upgrade to the motor THEN IT NEEDS TO BE RE Tuned. And you need a wideband o2 to tune it not guess work. the hondata 2b installed and tuned is gunna run you more than $800
I hope that's not the line of thinking that causes so many F/I guys to blow their motors. Proper tuning is key to a reliable boosting setup. Nobody said going fast was going to be cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts