Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking online and i encountered a monstrous 32mm rear sway bar from kingmotorsports

32mm

has anyone installed one of these before?
whats cool about is that it comes with the subframe.
anyways...just wanted to share.

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
Bigger is not always better when it comes to sway bars. I would never want a sway bar that large.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
"The ultimate swaybar setup! This package includes an enormous 32mm hollow shaft (.090” wall) 3-way adjustable swaybar and A-Spec’s patented subframe reinforcement brace. Track tested to neutralize understeer. This system is 100% bolt-on. Please note that the Integra Type R version of the kit does not include or require the subframe brace. If the standard A-Spec bar is not enough we also offer a 0.120” wall version of the swaybar for maximum roll stiffness."

It's hollow so it's not as stiff size for size as a solid bar.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
yeah, "track tested to neutralize understeer" and induce MASSIVE oversteer...woohoo!

yeah, my vote is to not get that thing...plus for $500 you can get an ITR rear sway bar (much more modest and sensible) and front/rear tower bars...maybe even both ITR sways

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
that was track test for off road use only, there is a couple on people on honda-tech that had it on there EG, EK for all out road racing. They say on the street your car would be 3 wheeling, if you drive on an uneven road(most roads are uneven).

link

·
Registered
443 Posts
LoL You guys better becareful going fast into a hard turn with that thing

You may find yourself in the way of oncoming traffic.... becareful with this setup and be responsible. I once almost cause a major accident because I wanted to test out my new suspension setup and wasnt use to the feed back and accidently got the back end lose. Cool if you know what your doing.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I would like to try this on the track car.

32mm ~ 1.26inches

the Real Time ITR from the early days ran a hollow rear sway around 1inch in diameter +- 0.26 inches

for street driven cars with amature drivers behind the wheel... I'd probably recommend against it, Just my opinion.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You guys seem to missing the point about it being hollow. There's a formula somewhere to calculate the force needed to torque it - I'll look around. Although I'm sure its VERY strong, I don't think its as crazy as you make it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pat24jr on Feb/01/06 said:
You guys seem to missing the point about it being hollow. There's a formula somewhere to calculate the force needed to torque it - I'll look around. Although I'm sure its VERY strong, I don't think its as crazy as you make it.
The torsional stifness of the sway bar is directly related to the moment of area. Assuming a sway bar is a perfectly circular solid shaft, the equation is, I = (pi * D^4) / 64. on a hollow shaft, that's I = (pi * (Do^4 - Di^4)) / 64.

So this bar has an OD of 32mm and an ID of 27.4mm. That works out to be an I = 23690mm^4.

Backing that out, a solid bar equivalent would be 26.4mm.

If you want to compare relative stiffnesses of two different size sawy bars, the equation would easily be ReStiffness = I1 / I2 = (D1^4)/(D2^4).

Plugging in the numbers, it means that this 32mm hollow bar is 2.1 times stiffer than the solid 22 mm on an ITR and 12.5 times stiffer than the 14mm on a GSR.

I won't comment on whether that's overkill or not. But that is pretty damn stiff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.