Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was watching the race (Nascar, Nextel cup, Texas Speedway, no, im not a *******) and towards the end of the race. Alot of drivers started having "battery" trouble. Then the commentators started talking about how some drivers use a smaller alternator to save some weight, but the smaller alternator cant handle the higher RPMs for as long. Which was causing the drivers batteries to fail. As I was watching this, I started wondering, how high rpm's would affect a teg for extended periods of time. Now I dont know of any b-series motors that could handle 8000+ rpms for 3 hours at a time.
Not that I plan on doing it, but do high rpm's for extended periods of time have negative effects on belt driven engine accesories?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Our stock alternators should provide enough power shouldn't it? I don't think honda would design a car with an alternator so small problems would result from driving around especially since our cars are street cars which have many power accessores.
one for instance is headlights. If you can drive at night with your lights on, I don't think it would have any trouble.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If your really concerned and I'm gonna do it, get an underdrive pulley. It takes alot of strain off of the accessories and adds some power too. Not too expensive either.
If you think about it though, any time you spin anything fast for along period of time its gonna wear out fast.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
sneeedle on Apr/09/04 said:
Now I dont know of any b-series motors that could handle 8000+ rpms for 3 hours at a time.
A typical road course event will give you about 2-3 hours of track time. I've never heard of anyone complaining about their alternator and most drivers that go are smart enough to not waste money on underdrive pulleys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts