Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a question like this has been asked before...but o well. What's the difference between the 4000k hid kits and the 7000k hids? What do you think is the best name brand for quality?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The difference between 4000k and 7000k is color temp, the 7000k bulbs give off that blue tint and produce less usable light compared to the 4000k bulb which is just white light. I currently have the Philips kit and I have no complaints at all, well worth the price.

·
Registered
599 Posts
4000k is what the BMW, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Benz use...
they are more safer... more legal and produce the light you are paying for.. 7000k you are paying for the look.

·
Registered
599 Posts
eBay has many for discounted prices. I forgot the place that sells them in London, Eng. They are the actual providers to BMW, Benz...

·
Registered
655 Posts
are they safe? say the 4000 kit? like is there any problem with overheating/hazing, etc? not sure if the stock lenses on the teg's would handle it or not??

oh and this is sort of related... how do you replace them if one blows, is it a special light. my dad has a lexus GS400 and one of his HID's blew last night, it looks terrible. wondering about how much we're looking at. didn't know if it was something we could change ourselves or at the dealership because it was HID.

thanks!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's a bit about color temperature:

Ignoring the names of the HID's, and considering that this is also an advertisement, you get the approximate burning temperatures for normal bulbs.if its under 5400K, it goes to a yellowish tint, if its over, then it goes to a purplish tint. The philips 4300K kit puts out more usable light than the K2 6800K kit. The only benefit of 6800K over 4300K is the fact that it looks purple.

The major brands right now are Philips, K2, and PIAA is getting into the Market [Bosch also produces HID components but for use by BMW, Mercedes, VW, and Jaguar].
Philips has the industry standard 4300K kit containning a Philips ballast and a Philips D2S Bulb per side. I consider Philips the best company along with the most reliable and best reputable among the ones you have to choose from.
Philips also has Utonian Bulbs that you can buy for around $300 for a pair which are around the 6000K area.

K2 is probably the only other major comptitor. Ive seen these kits come with 1 and/or 2 balasts, K2 DOES NOT make their own bulbs, and are assembled in god knows where.

With all the research I did before buying my HID's, I came to the conclusion that unless you just want to attrack a massive parade of cops for having VERY purple light, its a much smarter move to get the more reliable Philips kit.

I bought my set of HID's from Trevor of Visual Dynamics from Toronto [his website is down for some odd reason]. This guy has the best service, after talking to him for a few weeks, he decided to set up a group buy on/through Honda-Tech (believe me, I know I wasnt the only one asking him for this Group Buy). He created a GB that if 20 people joined, the price was $400. I think the non group buy price is in the $450 area, still, very reasonable for ALL Philips components and his great service.

Now, I'm driving around with a beautiful set of HID's.

NOTE: When buying the Philips kit from unknown people, make sure you clarify that they are all philips components and not something made in china or something...

For the guy with the GS400, depending on how old the car is, it still might be under warranty, if not, for a lexus it'll probably be a few hundred. The bulb for HID's is just a wierd looking bulb, other wise its all the same.

Here are some pictures:
Picture 1 Picture 2 Picture 3 Picture 4
In the last picture, you can see how white the HID is around the endges, and how yellow the Factory High Beams are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts