Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this but didn't find anything useful.

I just ordered a HID plug n' play set and I really wanted to make a dimmer switch for them for either a toggle between 70%/100% brightness or an infinitely adjustable dimmer knob.

I was also considering using my high/lo beam lever to toggle this, and then use the high beams for DRL's (with smaller lights).

Has anyone attempted something like this?

I'm assuming that I would just need to use a resistor circuit to lower the voltage being sent to the ballasts. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some searching online and i saw something similar to this that used capacitors in parallel to achieve dimming. However, I'm not sure what type of capacitor I would need...

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TheGSRGuy on Sep/10/07 said:
Sending below-normal voltage to the ballasts will result in them either (A) not supplying the capsules with enough juice, or (B) weird color lighting from the abnormal voltage.

HIDs are NOT designed to run at below-normal voltages. It's on or off, there is no inbetween.
According to the site these can run at a 9-36V range. I don't know if this is BS or not, or if they mean that the input voltage is variable but the output voltage is constant.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thats input voltage and that will not affect output.... long and short of it HID's cant be dimmed electrically.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/10/07 said:
The lifespan of your capsules will be shortened dramatically if you run them at lower voltages -- the salts will not ignite fully and hence not last as long.

Why are you trying to do this?
I completely agree with Dan on his points. Not to mention, your night viewing will be impacted as well. This just sounds like an all around bad bad idea.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Bi-xenon is not available in the 9006 size because the 9006 bulb is not dual-filament. Even if you did get a bi-xenon to fit, it would be aimed weird.

The reason the voltages are variable is because the electronics (ballast) regulate the voltage to stay constant. There is also a massive spike at startup that the ignitors use to start the capsules glowing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.