Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding my 9006 8600k K2 HID kit bulb. Well here's the thing, I recently took my 99 vogue silver GS for a complete new paint job and to install the newly painted OEM Type R front lip from Acura and the Type R spoiler w/LED as well as S2000 sidemarkers install and repaint the side skirts. I just went to the shop today and I must say it looks absolutely gorgeous (I'll post pics soon as I can). The problem is however, one of my 9006 low beam HID bulbs is out for some reason. I checked the wiring and it seems to be fine, the owner of the body shop told me that the bulb must have blown. However the kit is only 4 months old and since both bulbs were working perfectly fine prior to dropping off the car the shop a week ago. Also only the right one is out and the left one works perfectly fine, I suspect it might be some sort of negligent shop wiring problem, since they did have to install and wire the S2000 sidemarkers. I was wondering if you guys could help on the following two questions:
1) In case the bulb has been blown out, where can I get a replacement for the exact K2 8600k (light blue/white) 9006 bulb, or if anyone knows which website carries it or what part number it is? I understand that certain companies make unique bulbs so I can't just swap in any generic HID bulb and call it a day.
2) Any suggestions as where to check for a possible loose connection, or disconnected wiring?
It seems to me that although the shop is highly competent in body and paint work, they do a terrible job in electrical and wiring work (they forgot to rewire my trunk light and I had to do that) after they put in my S2000 anteannae. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance of this has been covered but I just thought maybe this situation might be a bit unique. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
930 Posts
1) you can get replacement at any auto store (ie: autozone, o reillys, etc.)nvm, i was reading too fast, thought you were talkin about halogens. ebay if you cant find what you looking for than buy a brand new set of sylvania silverstars. closest HID look your gonna get.
2) since they installed side markers they must've shorted something out. under your steering wheel area, there should be a fuse box. look for the "lowbeam" fuse for that side. ie: lowbeam right side, lowbeam left side. which ever. check the fuse though. i really think it's that. if you haven't already, change your lowbean fuses to 20... they should be 10 right now. takes a lil bit more energy to fire the hid ballasts up.

hope this helps buddy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deejaycherub on Apr/02/04 said:
1) you can get replacement at any auto store (ie: autozone, o reillys, etc.) or ebay if you cant find what you looking for than buy a brand new set of sylvania silverstars. closest HID look your gonna get.
2) since they installed side markers they must've shorted something out. under your steering wheel area, there should be a fuse box. look for the "lowbeam" fuse for that side. ie: lowbeam right side, lowbeam left side. which ever.

hope this helps buddy
Hey thanks, but I was hoping to get a direct replacement, not a replica of it as I'm told that it wont be an exact match? Oh and I do have the actual K2 8600k blue kit (as in retrofitting HIDS), cost me $550, I didnt mean I had just those fake xenon bulbs. I know they have online sites that sell the entire kit, but I just needed to find a replacement bulb for it. But great idea regarding the fuse box, I'll definitly keep that in mind. Thanks alot!

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
good luck finding one.... whne i broke one of my Catz bulbs in an accident, it took a few weeks and $150 to find a replacement (for sale thread on HT)

i can imagine its 100x harder now with all the new laws and stuff

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh, sorry to hear about that, yeah they are definitly expensive. I was really pissed off about it today and I strongly believe that the bulb is out as a result of their messing up the wiring (they do very sloppy electrical wiring job as evident during the S2K antennae installation but great paint and body work as I mentioned), so I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem and hopefully find a solution to it. I dont really believe that the bulb just burned out, I've owned the kit for four months and probably only used it for 2 months, and as far as I know HIDs lasts over 5000 hours, I could not have had more than 50 hours of use on them. I'll check the fusebox as Deejaycherub mentioned, and look under the hood again. But if anyone has any other suggestions and as to where I can locate a K2 8000k/8600k 9006 Blue replacement bulb would be absolutely fabulous, thanks very much again.

·
Registered
930 Posts
MXS, the fust box im talkin about is nott under the hood. the spot is where your knees point to while driving. a little panel you pull out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if u can't tell if the bulb is burnt just by lookin at it, try switching the left bulb (the working one) to the right-side to see if it works. if it doesn't, then there's some wiring or a fuse problem. if it does, well then it's just a burnt bulb.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Want to know why it burned out so fast? Because it wasn't an authentic Philips or Osram Sylvania capsule. If your kit is really 8000k, it is a cheap Korean-made capsule, and those have a very short lifespan.

BTW, when referring to HID, they're not bulbs, they're capsules. Bulb means filament, which HID systems do not have.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deejaycherub on Apr/02/04 said:
MXS, the fust box im talkin about is nott under the hood. the spot is where your knees point to while driving. a little panel you pull out.
Yes I understand, but I wanted to check the condition of the ballast wiring under the hood as well as the fusebox, thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheGSRGuy on Apr/02/04 said:
Want to know why it burned out so fast? Because it wasn't an authentic Philips or Osram Sylvania capsule. If your kit is really 8000k, it is a cheap Korean-made capsule, and those have a very short lifespan.

BTW, when referring to HID, they're not bulbs, they're capsules. Bulb means filament, which HID systems do not have.
Ah yes yes bulbs/capsules forgive my terminology, whichever is which. Now as far as your mentioning it being the cheap Korean-made, would it work properly if I replaced the "capsules" with the Philips or Osram Sylvania capsules and changed nothing else?

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
All I can tell you is that if you put in authentic Philips or Osram/Sylvania capsules, they'll last a lot longer and prevent headaches like this.

I don't know exactly what's up with your system...HID lighting is more complicated in the sense that it's not just a bulb, there are other electronics: a ballast and an ignitor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tegs_R_Us on Apr/02/04 said:
if u can't tell if the bulb is burnt just by lookin at it, try switching the left bulb (the working one) to the right-side to see if it works. if it doesn't, then there's some wiring or a fuse problem. if it does, well then it's just a burnt bulb.
Yeah I asked the body shop to do that earlier, they havent gotten back to me on that yet, thanks very much for the suggestion though. I just wanted to provide as many possible solutions as provided by you guys to the body shop so hopefully something will work.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheGSRGuy on Apr/02/04 said:
All I can tell you is that if you put in authentic Philips or Osram/Sylvania capsules, they'll last a lot longer and prevent headaches like this.

I don't know exactly what's up with your system...HID lighting is more complicated in the sense that it's not just a bulb, there are other electronics: a ballast and an ignitor.
Yes I understand and appreciate your point in that the Phillips and Osram/Sylvania capsules last longer and "it will prevent headaches like this", but do you know if they would work properly with the K2 8000k Blue kit (yes thats with ballast ignitor and all wiring including grounding, etc, I installed the kit myself four months ago). If they don't then it doesnt really help the problem much. Im searching for a replacement bulb and Im told the best method is to get the original replacement so to speak, but if the Phillips or Osram/Sylvania will last longer and work just as well I will get those instead of hunting for the K2 replacement bulbs. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
chances are that if you get those capsules they are still not going to match, so your best bet would be to get some rebased 9006 phillips capsules. I believe www.xenondepot.com has them. You will have to cut off the connectors on those capsules, however, it not that big of a deal... In addition, I would suggest getting 4300K bulbs because with 8600K you are not not getting much more light than if you stayed with hollogen.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah fixed the problem myself after I picked it up from the body shop. I just did some reconnecting and rewiring under the hood, and it came back on. *Shrug*

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, strangest thing problem happened again. As per described the problem in the original post, I thought that I had fixed it by reconnecting all the wires etc etc. However problem occured again today after I washed my car with the hood closed, and the body shop told me that the problem happened the first time after they washed off my car after repainting it WITH THE HOOD OPEN (being careful as to avoid the distributor I hope). Now I wash my car on a weekly basis and this problem has never occured prior to bringing in my car to the body shop (where they repainted the car and installed S2000 clear sidemarkers wired to my turn signals). I have a suspicion that they moved around some wiring and left it in a position that is vulnerable to water. I checked most of the wiring and none of them appears wet under the hood. Basically, I the problem kind of resolves itself I guess when the water dried up, but now I dont want to deal with this problem everytime I wash my car or it rains. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Xenon depot doesn't manufacture beyond 6000k kits, yes yes they may have a few more lumens here and there but I like the color of the 8000k blue/white kit. Sure I can order a kit from Xenondepot without a second thought, but I'm rather fond of my current kit (great light output in my opinion and color), and I would much rather fix this problem, as Im sure its minor and doesnt warrant having to replace the entire system.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have a set of K2 Bulbs that have a blue hue but are 6000K not 8600K. They put off a lot more light than your 8600K. They are brand new in the box and include the wires.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the love of god, thank you but no thank you everyone who is trying to sell me new HID kit. Im positive my HIDs are in fully functional condition. I just need to find out whats is the exact correlation between my right light going out when the car is washed...and no, the thread is NOT titled "wtb: Hid Kit!"...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts