Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I will have about 350wrms to play with here, and it will be in a sealed enclosure in the back of my 95 integra (hatchback). So which of the following 2 subs do you recommend?

1) Alpine 12" dual 2 ohm Type R (4ohm mono)
2) JL Audio 12" W3V2 dual 2 ohm
3) Sub of your choice (please leave resons)

Please state your reasons

thanks guys
-kb

·
Registered
318 Posts
for one 350 watts RMS is not enough to push the alpine type R to its full potential. i currently have an MTX 801D which puts put 833 total watts and its still not using the sub to what it should be used....as far as the JLaudio w12....im not too familiar with them...so that might take a lil to research...im pretty much givin my opinion on the Type R..good luck with your search

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
well a sub doesn't have to have it's max rms to "bump"...my suggestion like it is SO many times when choosing a speaker is GO LISTEN TO A SIMILAR SETUP...BOTH brands make good stuff so it's all listening preference after that go to a shop tell them your setup and listen to something similar

·
Registered
137 Posts
SleepinTeg on Feb/22/04 said:
for one 350 watts RMS is not enough to push the alpine type R to its full potential. i currently have an MTX 801D which puts put 833 total watts and its still not using the sub to what it should be used....as far as the JLaudio w12....im not too familiar with them...so that might take a lil to research...im pretty much givin my opinion on the Type R..good luck with your search
HAHAHAHA alpine type r is only 300wRMS handling. how is 350watts rms not enough? LOL

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
833W on a Type-R...that's a lot of head room, but that's good since all my MTX amp did was overheat. I'm curious how fast I'd blow my sub (350W RMS recommended) if I had that much power at my fingertips. Maybe I'll wire my sub in parallel for a 1-ohm load...no idea what kinda power my amp makes though.

We're not clairvoyant. No one knows what you listen to, how abnoxious you wish to be, what space constraints you have, your SQ/SPL goals, etc.

Also, I dunno about you, but I hate listening to subs in stores. It's not a true representation of what the sub will sound like in the car. I essentially took a gamble and purchased a sub that I never heard just by reading reviews & spec sheets.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well before i had a kicker solobaric in a 6foot cubic box ported and it was too much, basically broek everything inside my teg, so I'd like SQL now in a sealed box.

Correction I have about 400-450 watts to work with

·
Registered
324 Posts
400W... is that if your amp is wired to 2-Ohm? If so that will power a JL W6 PERFECTLY. It's DVC, so you can wire your amp for 2-Ohm if its capable. It's a great sounding sub, and I'm been very happy with the performance of mine over the past year.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
check this post out

I posted on there as well, here's what I said, "I have a JL Audio 12w3v2 and it pumps like none other! I would highly recommend the JL subs to anyone. I also have a Pioneer HU, well its a motorized LCD screen, but ive always liked pioneer as well, early on i had chosen all new pioneer speakers to replace the horrible stock ones, and im pleased!" I also opted to buy a bass controller and mounted it where our coin trays are, i cant even keep it up as high as it goes its so loud...also, i ordered everything from woofersetc.com and they helped me make my decision for a reasonable price, if you havent found a place yet to buy everything from.
*~*Ash*~*

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Infinity kappa perfect 12 VQ, i went through a polk MM12 and an MTX 8000 series 12in woofer before i settled on this badboy.

Look at the frequency response curves for it as well as excusion, it's awesome. it also comes with these magnet inserts which you use to tune it for different enclosures. I have it in a 1 foot sealed box with the mid insert, and it's ridiculous, extremely clean too.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
side by side of infinity vs. alpine

link

alpine is only 300 watts RMS, it wont take the power

edit: same goes for the JL, you need to look at higher price range subs or you're going to fry a voicecoil

·
Registered
662 Posts
I suggest a 13w7 it may be alittle expensive but oNE is MOOOORE then enough i have a 10 and cant understand the words and dont think its because my highs are bad look at my system in my profile its not bad but a 13w7 powered by a 1000/1 jl amp would do a bad ass system

WHOOPS SORRY didnt see that
then id go with one w3 cause i think they have a 300watt rms if im now mistaken so you wouldnt have enough power anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts