Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try Hondata, they make many different ones for the OBDII GSRs and they even come in different stages to suit your needs. You can check them out at Hondata . I believe these are some of the best ECU's out for Hondas and from what I've heard so far, they are great. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
This here on TI was posted on Sept. 10, 2002 and could have been found using the search function if one enters the term "Mugen ECU" in the search box to the left of this page. It answers your question and gives you the links to the Hondata analysis of how useless the Mugen ECU is and my article HERE which explains why you should do a reprogrammed ECU last and why it should be a custom one and NOT a Mugen.

enjoy the reading and learning....

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
That would certainly explain the GS-R having detonation problems with the Mugen ECU on the dyno. I still don't understand the whole purpose of off the shelf pre-programmed ECU's.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
SurferX on Sep/16/02 said:
...I still don't understand the whole purpose of off the shelf pre-programmed ECU's.

the purpose of one-size-fits-all, best guess pre-programmed ECU's?: it's quick like an intake. plug and play. no brainer for people who don't understand tuning and don't want to. But then because you are living in ignorance, you don't get the gains or as broad a powerband compared to a properly done chip on a dyno on your own car.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
No. when you clear the codes, it erases them entirely. It's a PROM. I believe there is an article on how to reset the ECU for beginners by Surfer X in the Maintenance section of the Articles. I guess you've been here a long time but maybe never checked out the articles yet. You may want to take a peek at them since they may contain useful info like how to reset the ECU and other things.

·
Registered
428 Posts
if you get the obd1 you can get the skunk2 rewire kit, its just plug and play. Obd1 is better if your doin turbo anyway!!!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I think you need to explain to people why you recommend these since they are contrary to what I know.

why is obd1 better than obd2?

... and why is a skunk2 pre-programmed ecu done on a car different from yours better than an obd 2 custom program done on the dyno and tuned using a wideband O2 sensor?

it really doesn't make any sense to buy a chip especially for a turbo that has a program that is based on a guess of what your engine MAY do over the rpm range.

I think there is a lot of hype about obd1 and people don't know what exactly is the "better" thing about it. People just repeat what they hear without understanding why...and that is a little scary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts