Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was trying to install my Carsound Cat made by SMSP last night (used). I didn't recieve ANY hardware with it (because it was used). The rear portion was fine, I just needed to get bolts that were long enough and a three bolt gasket.

But the front... Well the hole in the flange wasnt circular, so in an attempt to use stock hardware, I dremeled it out slightly (though it took forever). But now, even with the tension spring COMPLETELY COMPRESSED (using vise grips) it will not fit. My only option with stock hardware is to possibly cut the spring and leave hardly anything.

So what hardware came with the SMSP Carsound Cat to connect to the header?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Hmm...

It should have had a loose ring sorta thing that the sprung bolts attach to and that acts as a spring seat. My unit didn't come with new bolts/springs. I just used the stock carriage bolts and they were plenty long (probably 4 inches). You're saying the bolts are too short, not the cat itself, correct? If so just make a trip to Lowe's and grab what you need.

-Nate

·
Registered
198 Posts
you need the get a flange made and weld it to the cat it sounds like. i got a carsound and it was round with no flanges i dont know about yours though. the springs also go on the other side of the cat towards the back on the car not in between the header flange and cat. you should connect the two together then put the spring over the excess bolt sticking out and compress it with a nut and washer.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What?! Well stock THEY DO go by the header, and stock materials are what I have to work with.

Also jessejames, it already is welded, as I say it was already welded by SMSP.

ReX-7 sounds like he actually knows what I'm talking about. You are correct, the cat isnt too short just the bolts. The item that acts as the spring seat cannot get close enough to the header flange to use the stock hardware.

Earlier this morning I went to Lowes and picked up some stuff, hopefully it will fit, but it may look a little ghetto... screw that.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allright, I used a 3" bolt if I remember correctly, 1/4" size. I used a large washer at one end by the head, then the spring, then at the other end a small washer and a lock nut. The bolt should be fine since it's a Grade 8, but I'm a little worried about the washers... I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Just to double-check... You positioned the springs so that the tension is pushing the parts together, not apart, correct? If so, you should be fine whatever the final hardware configuration was.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, of course. It is basically the same as stock, but since I used a longer bolt, and to simulate the parts where the bolt sticks out I used washers.

Stainless? Of course, Grade 8 baby!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.