Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to wash my car yesterday and I can now see that there is very very small specs of surface rust popping up all over my car. I had it rust proofed before winter started and I clean it once a week.

My cleaning process:
1 - Pre soak car with water and highly concentrated soap
2 - Use High pressure soap to get all the hard to get spots, like wheel wells, tires, front grill etc..
3 - Finish off with high pressure rinse

Maybe it's in the way I clean the car in the winter why the surface rust has started.

What solutions might I have to fix the problem before it gets worse?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That, my friend, is called IFO, or Industrial Fallout. It is caused by little pieces of metal that fall from the sky in poluted areas and then sort of melt their way into your car. Some shops will call it 'rail dust' because it is what commonly happens to cars in transit. that is why new cars have those protective sheets over the large flat areas like the hood and bumpers while in transit. It is to stop this stuff from happening.

When you are driving in the winter you get all kinds of crap spraying off the roads onto your car. Stuff like brake dust is the worst. That's why you'll see it on your back bumper first. Brake dust comes off your wheels hot and then it settles in your clear coat and rusts. All that metal is in the slush that gets sprayed on your car.

The way you solve this is with a simple clay bar. Clay was designed for this kind of thing. It pulls the metals and contamination out of your paint and leaves the surface ready to be polished. That is why in the spring I always have to break out the clay bar to prep my cars for summer. Do some searches on how to use clay. Its really easy. You just spray some soapy water on the surface and glide the clay back and forth. Its pretty cool.

Everybody has IFO whether they see it or not. If you live near any refinerys or freeways then you have more than most people. If you live in a really poluted city then you definitely have more than most. Clay will remove it and a good sealant will help prevent it. If you can create a slick enough surface that the IFO won't stick to the car long enough to work its way into your clear coat then you are doing well. That is precicely why I use Klasse in the winter. Its a rock hard protection that saves me from IFO in the spring. I just got my back bumper repainted in December and can't protect it yet because its new paint. It is covered with little orange dots now. It kills me to see it there.

Anyway, the clay bar is your friend. Go to AutoZone and get a bar of Clay Magic and that will take care of it. :)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Yup. Clay will not only get rid of the rust dots but it will also remove the metal that is causing it. You could use a cleaner wax and remove the just rust dots if that is all you are interested in doing. I use ScratchX all the time for that kind of stuff. But the metal will still be there and the rust will come back. It may come back anyway if you are still leaving the car in the same environment, but at least it won't be from the same pieces of metal. If you've never clayed your car before then you are going to love how it feels once you get all that contamination off. Your car will be as smooth as glass. Its pretty cool.

This is yet another reason getting a car cover is such a good idea for some people. Protecting your car from IFO is a full time job. If you live in a high risk area for it then every little bit helps.

Now with that other part you are kind of hosed. Not much you can do about that. The best thing you can do is try and scrape as much of the rust off that you can and then spray it down with some kind of anti rust spray and paint over the top of it. It won't be pretty, but it will look better than that cancer is going to look in another year if it goes untreated.

Something you can try is just getting some ScratchX and cleaning the rust off. That might help. Its hard to tell from the picture how severe the damage is. ScratchX will remove the rust stain from the paint and at least make it look better. You still need to get rid of that rust before it goes through the whole fender. Cleaning the rust is easy. Removing it is the hard part.

·
Registered
724 Posts
uhh... i have rust forming on the front of my hood... like at the very bottom by the hood latch... will clay bars help that as well?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Aight for that rust in your rear wheel well you can have it taken car of... Use a grinder of you can just you the simple grinding tool that comes with most dremels. CAREFULLY grind all the rust off. once it is completly gone get some anti rust spray and apply to part that is newly exposed from grinding, then cover with somesort of touch up paint or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts