Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1996 Integra with a poor mans type r build that’s run great(20,000+ miles) until a few days ago. The car started overheating and there is many different problems so I don’t know where to start, at first I noticed the fans weren’t coming on unless ac was on, then it started idling high and eventually stopped blowing hot air. I already took out the thermostat and checked it and it was stuck closed so I put a new one in today(failsafe brand). My fan situation isn’t fixed and my car still gets hot and goes back To normal over and over but doesn’t ping the H on the gauge. My idle is still high though (1500rpms) and the heat doesn’t work. Any suggestions? P.S I haven’t slept the past two nights going through threads to see if anyone had this specific series of problems as me so if you find another thread and redirect me I’m up for reading it!

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
Let's start with the basics:

You state that you have no heat: Out of curiosity, what is the vehicle's coolant level in the radiator currently?

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
If you're absolutely positive there's coolant in the system, then you have a blockage somewhere. No heat means coolant isn't circulating to the heater core. What was your process for bleeding after you swapped out the thermostat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're absolutely positive there's coolant in the system, then you have a blockage somewhere. No heat means coolant isn't circulating to the heater core. What was your process for bleeding after you swapped out the thermostat?
Hadn’t bled it yet just pulled it into my garage so I could work on it but it’s filled with coolant. Do you think an air pocket could be causing this much trouble? I’ll be bleeding it after checking vacuum leaks and spark plugs(addressing the high idle first) with my friend

·
Registered
21 Posts
If (1) the system is bled OK and (2) the level of coolant in the overflow is remaining consistent, I would say you have either a water pump failure of some kind, or some kind of blockage. That would explain it getting hot and not getting warm air. One way to check is after starting the car cold, pop the radiator cap. When the t-stat opens you should see flow through rad at the cap.

My experience with non-vtec motors is that it usually self-bleeds, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you get significant coolant being pushed into the overflow bottle, then you may have a head gasket failure pushing combustion gas into the cooling system, creating air pockets. There is a fluid-based tester you can get at parts stores to check that.

IMO the high idle is unrelated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
what rating temperature of sensor did you use? if fans come on at 180 degrees and you used a 200 rated thermostat that might keep cause the temp fluctuation issue. also is it freezing outsize. are you driving the car trying to warm it up or sitting with the hood open. also you said poor mans type r engine, what ecu, is there s300 or some tuning capabilities here, cause if so maybe your tuner changed the coolant temp parameters. but surprised no one mentioned the coolant temp sensor,they're cheap and i bet that's the problem

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
but surprised no one mentioned the coolant temp sensor,they're cheap and i bet that's the problem
Coolant temp sensor could definitely be a culprit for the fans not coming on, but it won't have anything to do with no heat.

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
Hadn’t bled it yet just pulled it into my garage so I could work on it but it’s filled with coolant. Do you think an air pocket could be causing this much trouble? I’ll be bleeding it after checking vacuum leaks and spark plugs(addressing the high idle first) with my friend
An air pocket could definitely be a contributing factor. After running for 15min or so, are both upper & lower radiator hoses warm or hot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright so me and my friend replaced the thermostat with a failsafe and bled it for 45 minutes after which the car warmed up to normal then went straight to cold. Turned out the brand new failsafe thermostat failed open when we took it out again. So we got a duralast gold one rated at 180 and put that one in and bled it again. Now it is running colder and fluctuates below the middle mark but at least it’s not stone cold or overheating(I took it on the highway and drove it around downtown for a while in traffic) Answers to your guys questions it’s a chipped Ecu I have no idea what kind or one. And yes it’s been below 0 the last few days where I live and all this thermostat changing went down in my colleges parking lot. Haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts