Team Integra Forums banner

HELP! '89 Integra went into "limp mode".

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jjkz24 
#1 ·
HELP! "Limp mode"?

Made is 90 miles east of Los Angeles in my newly-acquired Acura (with 246,000 already on it). Automatic.

Motoring down I-10 at modest 60 MPH when "check engine" light came on. Motor still running as stopped to check for usual suspects.

• no evidence of overheating
  • brand new battery
  • all fuses (under dash and in engine compartment) check OK

Disconnected battery for 20 minutes and cleaned some corrosion off of NEG connector.

Car is again running fine, but do not want to continue an 1,800 mile trip - in the dark, in the cold - without knowing the problem?

- Can someone tell me what to check?

- Does anyone in the LA area know these 1.6 Honda motors cold and have a model-specific scanner to help identify the problem?

Anyone who can help is requested to post here tonight (Wednesday), call or text me at 912-996-6296 after that.

Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't diagnose until we know the code stored in the ECU, since you stated that the check engine light came on. The problem with that alone, however, is that you disconnected the battery, which more than likely cleared the code from the ECU. That means you'd purposely have to wait until the light comes back on, to attempt to pull the code once again.

#6 ·
check your ground. you should have 1 at each end of the motor. Auto Zone will read your code free. they sell scanner after market 1's
Autozone, or any other auto parts store won't be able to scan for any codes. They can only scan on vehicles that are OBD2 (1996-Newer). There's an LED on the ECU. Do a search on how to read the blinking LED lights which correlate to a code, then search for what the code correlates to. From there, you can then start diagnostics on that code.

Search first.

#4 ·
HELP! "Limp mode"?

Made is 90 miles east of Los Angeles in my newly-acquired Acura (with 246,000 already on it). Automatic.

Motoring down I-10 at modest 60 MPH when "check engine" light came on. Motor still running as stopped to check for usual suspects.

• no evidence of overheating
  • brand new battery
  • all fuses (under dash and in engine compartment) check OK
Disconnected battery for 20 minutes and cleaned some corrosion off of NEG connector.

Car is again running fine, but do not want to continue an 1,800 mile trip - in the dark, in the cold - without knowing the problem?

- Can someone tell me what to check?

- Does anyone in the LA area know these 1.6 Honda motors cold and have a model-specific scanner to help identify the problem?

Anyone who can help is requested to post here tonight (Wednesday), call or text me at 912-996-6296 after that.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.