Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, I was talking with a friend of mine about buying aftermarket pedals for my teg and he said I should buy bigger ones so the pedals will be closer to each other in case I need to do the heel-and-toe shifting method. Now, I've seen this done in racing videos before buy my question is does anyone use this kind of method during normal driving speeds and conditions. I've been driving stick only for the last few days but I've found that I don't drive in a way to make use of it. Whats your take on this?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
anyone out there know if there is there a way to adjust the position of the gas and/or brake pedals so the are even? heal/toe is hard when they're aren't.

·
Registered
354 Posts
im lost whats HEAL TO TOE????

·
Registered
40 Posts
heel toe u will only need to use in high rpm situations, normal everyday driving u shouldnt do it unless u like hearing your exhaust lmao

·
Registered
663 Posts
heel and toe is used for when you're downshifting at high rpms, when people (namely professional racers) brake and also match revs. its like hitting two talibans with one grenade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
96dc2 on Sep/08/02 said:
anyone out there know if there is there a way to adjust the position of the gas and/or brake pedals so the are even? heal/toe is hard when they're aren't.
You can bend the gas pedal over a bit...just use a ratchet strap around the brake pedal and gas(the brake pedal is SOLID and wont bend) and bend the gas over.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Before you guys bend up your pedals and such... you aren't taking the term "heel toe" literally, are you?

If you do it correctly, the stock pedals will work. But I wouldn't bother doing this on the street if I were you, unless you want to trade your gas mileage for smooth downshifts. It's very important to be smooth on the track, but there's really no point for that on the street.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh I know, just get some 2 by 4's and go from there. Cheap DIY right there.

You guys have got to be kinding me. And bending the pedals good god. All I will say is good luck on bending some of the toughest metal on cars.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i just use the side of my foot. the pedals are close enough to where you can brake with the left part of your shoe and blip the gas with the right side of your shoe.

just half of your foot on the brake and the other half on the gas. its a lot easier than bending your foot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I usually heel toe shift, it isnt necessarily for high rev situations, its basically just rev-matching. Instead of just shifting into neutral and coasting, I have always downshifted, and just let out the clutch, this is a little jerky and hard on the clutch, now with my gsr i heel toe, or actually cause of my size 13's, I use the side of my foot, but then i can brake, downshift, clutch, and rev match all at the same time. its hard, but with practice is a good habit to get into. Ya, it is loud with the racing medallion on, but who cares.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Heel-toe generally doesn't mean you use your heel and toe. Personally I use both sides of my foot and it's much easier to concentrate on the course that way instead of twisting my leg. I find the stock pedals work just fine for heel-toe, cheater pedals make it easier for newbies but become a handicap on track as it becomes too easy to hit both gas and brake at the same time.

by 96dc2 said:
It's very important for the brake to be higher than the gas pedal. on track when you're coming to a corner, it's important that your foot begins braking before you start to hit the throttle. This is because on track you will be in the high revs and if you don't slow down before hitting the gas you will overrev past redline. So your foot should already be pressing the brake and RPMs dropped to an area below where the lower gear will put you over redline before you blip the throttle. once your blip the throttle and shoot the RPMs up to where the lower gear is, you release pressure on the brake and move over to the gas as your release the clutch.

That's all it is, is a blip of the throttle. It's not perfectly matching the RPMs to the lower gear because that takes too long and takes too much concentration off the track. The point is to be fast and keep your focus on your corner entrance. You need to faster in doing this with a lightweight flywheel because once you blip the throttle the RPMs will start falling back very quickly.

·
Registered
628 Posts
i put an aluminum 1/2" spacer under my brake pedal pad. seems to work pretty well.

as for not doing it on a regular basis, you guys are no fun at all.. i do it because i enjoy it. i can also do it seamlessly. practice makes perfect.. i also double clutch my downshifts. why? it's more fun. i don't need to, but i enjoy it. and no way in hell is 1st going in without double clutching it... (besides, i learned mostly on formula dodge race cars, and those have dog boxes so you have to double clutch them..)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Practice does make perfect. If you do this stuff on the street, you'll feel right at home and be faster than everyone in your group if you finally get out and run a road course event.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ok. I get the "heal-toe" thing. But how much do you "blip" the gas? Or how long? I mean "blip" and reach redline or what?? I've tried and it's pretty hard. I guess gotta practice more. BTW...does this put any more stress on your clutch if you're doing it improperly for a long time?? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It does take alot of practice. Pressing all 3 pedals at the same time while shifting and steering is an art form. You'll get the feel of how much you'll need to hit the gas in order to land at the proper RPMs. It will be different for each gear as the spacing gets larger as you get to the lower gears.

At first it will put more wear on your clutch disc because you won't be doing it smoothly for awhile. But after you get smooth at it, it actually decreases clutch wear when downshifting.

Watch some of those Best Motoring videos that has a camera on their feet, gauge cluster, and facing out to thet track. Pretty cool to study their techniques. Also you'll get to hear what it sounds like to do proper heel-toeing, and it's very satisfying to hear your motor do the same thing when you do it succesfully.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i use heel toe on a regular basis..even when i', stopping at a intersectiong..i heel toe ...soo wht none of you guys do this>? you guys just brake in 4th gear???
i would heel toe to like 2end gear....

and for turns too..

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
97teg on Apr/14/03 said:
i just use the side of my foot. the pedals are close enough to where you can brake with the left part of your shoe and blip the gas with the right side of your shoe.

just half of your foot on the brake and the other half on the gas. its a lot easier than bending your foot.
Yup, that's how it's done.
If you were to take "heel toe" literally, you'd be twisting your leg around and having a hell of a time. It can be done, but there's a much easier way to do it. I followed some "advice" I read on Honda-Tech (always a bad idea) and tried to take "heel toe" literally, but that just didn't work. I was experimenting with it and happened to find the correct method, which works quite well.

It wasn't until a year or so after my heel toe experiementation that I read a book and found out that my method is actually the correct way to do it. Here's a quote from a great book called "Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry A. Watts:

"The actual approach is to use the ball of the right foot on the right side of the brake pedal and then rotate the foot over to the right, allowing the right edge of the right foot to depress the throttle breifly."

In other words, just put your right foot between the brake and throttle, apply the brakes, clutch in, then roll your foot to the right to blip the throttle, shift at the same time, then clutch out.

You just want to rev it up high enough so that the engine RPM will be equal to what it should be for your current speed in the gear that you're switching into. So, if you were at 4000 rpm and you're going to do a downshift that would put you at 5000 rpm for the same MPH, you would blip the throttle up to 5000 rpm while the clutch is in. Of course, the brakes are in use, so your MPH is going to be dropping and you won't have to increase the RPM as much.

If you rev it too high, the car will pull forward a little when you let the clutch out. If you rev it not enough, then it'll feel slow or jerky. But if you do it just right, it'll be nice and smooth. on the track, smooth is fast. Jerkyness upsets the car and it wont give you it's full potential.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I've gotten some good practice in and i'm getting pretty good at it. I can fully control my turns at higher speeds now and I can heel toe without the use of any pedal covers or bending of the gas pedal. All my pedals are full stock, it just takes some getting used to. But its great when you wanna take a fast corner and not feel like you're just careening out of control in neutral. Me likes curvy roads

1 - 20 of 45 Posts