Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys, I don't start threads often but I'm having trouble with something right now. The heatshield around my cat is rattling at 3K so I decided to remove it.

I got ALL the bolts off, and as you probably know, the shield is two pieces. one above the cat and one below and they connect to each other. Well the one below fell right off of course, but the one above seems to be stuck on something.

My friend said it was an o2 sensor and that I would have to take the whole cat off to get the other half of the heatshield off. Is this my only option? If so, I'lm going to put it up on ramps tomorrow and do this.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

-JK

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought of a new idea. I got this one from C, what about those metal cable tie things? They would keep it from rattling would they not?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, how about this, for those of you who have done it, what did you do? Did you take the whole cat off?

Someone has done this, right? I always see those heatshield removal posts on here, but nothing about this problem...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't remember having a big problem with this part of the heat shield removal...I think I just took wire cutters and snipped my way from the side of the shield up to the hole for the o2 sensor and then spread it apart and slid it off one side, the wire through the slit. Would that do it? Let me know if that doesn't solve your prob.

·
Registered
865 Posts
BTW...I wouldnt take off the one mounted to the underside of the car, keeps all that heat out of the interior.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GSRShane on Sep/12/02 said:
BTW...I wouldnt take off the one mounted to the underside of the car, keeps all that heat out of the interior.
Thats the part that is still on there and rattling. Should I just put the screws back in? Would that fix the problem?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify what we're talking about. It's a two part thing, the part that is still there is the part that protects the bottom of the car. The part that is already off is the part that faces the pavement...

·
Registered
304 Posts
When i was with my mechanic hes like "im going to put these metal ties on to keep it from rattling, i dont like removing heat shields...5 minutes later..god this thing is a pain in the ass...f**k IT! Im ripping it off!!"

Lol thats exactly what he said, it was funny, but he ripped it right off so I dont know why yours isnt coming off, but i know how you feel Justin, that sounds i annoying as hell!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last bolt gave me the worst time, then I finally get it off and I see an o2 sensor up there...AHHHHHHH, the rattle is a bit worse because nothing is holding it down. Blegh, if I could only find some metal cutters or something...

·
Registered
550 Posts
just take wire cutters and cut it off. I did that and I had the top part off in about a minute.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to do that tomorrow, then I'm going to burn the damn thing...one last question...this doesn't pose any threat or anything does it? i.e. a fire hazard or something...

·
Registered
304 Posts
basically justin the hazard would be if you drove around 100 miles an hour got your call all heated up, then parked in a dry grassy field.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts