Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does it do? Mine is rattling and my uncle says he's going ot bring it to the dealership to get it yanked out? WtF?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Protects the radiator and depending on the generation of your teg, hoses from being dammaged by the heat that the exhaust maniforld produces. It's good to have though, I wouldn't take it out... take it to the dealership, they should tighten it or replace it for free if it's becomming defective.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
it keeps the heat the header produces out of the engine bay, if your going to remove it you better invest in some thermal wrap, because if you dont, your gonna have a hot engine

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i would say it was a combonation that got the job done

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think you're talking about the heat shield on the catalytic converter GSRGuy. Question, does a ceramic coated exhaust manifold eliminate the need to wrap the bare manifold with thermal wrap?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah, the one under the cat, and the one over the exhuast pipes are different. The one under the cat is pretty useless - unless you drive over tall grass.

But v_integ95 took the one separating the underside, and the exhaust pipe out. He now uses his armrest to fry eggs.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno what to do, they're going to remove it because it's rattling like a b#tch heh. So what should i be doing ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
batboyx on Aug/27/02 said:
I dunno what to do, they're going to remove it because it's rattling like a b#tch heh. So what should i be doing ?
try tightening it up. if that doesn't eliminate the rattling, just get a new one. the front one is about $50. i had mine off for a while, and it DOES make a different in engine bay heat. without the heatshied, it will get hotter than hell. with it, it will just be very warm.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I read in one of the Honda Builder's Handbooks that Honda used to have a heatshield on only the radiator side of the exhaust manifold, but added a shield to the block side because they were having some reliability problems due to the increased heat radiated into the block. I don't remember specifics. Always consider any mod very carefully. Every part is there for a reason/reasons - make sure you know exactly what ANY part does before you modify it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my heat shield off a few weeks ago because it was nearly rusted off, and rattling very badly. For some reason now my engine seams to be running weak after a couple hours of driving. Could this be related?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts