Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my header heat shield off today and I have to admit my engine bay looks better with the heat shield off...the only thing is that the stock header is rusty looking (so I was thinking about using Dupli's new MetalCast spray cans to spray it Anozied red), anyways how would removing this heat shield effect my car when i'm driving it...i mean it must be there for a reason, right?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It's so if you park under something flamable, it doesn't catch fire..ex. leaves. It also keeps things a little cooler, but I'm not sure..Mine is off, and I have no problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's to keep engine bay temps down, you can imagine how hot a cast iron header can get on a 90 degree day. I have heard some stories of them getting so hot that they start to make the paint on the hood peel but I dont know how legit that is.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My paint did not peel, it just started to become very susceptible to chipping, as the hood gets much hotter than with the heatshield on. Since i put it back on, i haven't seen any new chips. Unfortunately it's too late...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry to bring this topic up from the dead but it seems to be the most relevant one to post on.

I am getting a new exhaust made and ALL of my heat sheilds throughout the bottom of my car have been rusting off. Is It ok to take these of or are there any good replacements. This is one thing I don't want to go to the Acura stealership for.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
With the exception of the Ex. Manifold and the Cat., you may want to go ahead and remove them. If they haven't started to rattle yet, chances are they will at some point. You shouldn't experience any negative effects from removing them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i have removed past the cat but I was mainly concerned with back by the gas tank. anyone ever experience any problems?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have a heatsheild on and the hood gets very hot, but no peeled paint yet. one thing I would suggest is putting some extra (fire-proof) insulation wrap on the Air Conditioning lines that run up and in front of the radiator. The unsheilded Manifold radiates enough heat to warm up your A/C system under the hood and lower the effectiveness it provides to keep your sweaty ass cool on a blistering hot summer day.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i was planning on doing aftermarket headers, any problems there or no, if so would the exhaust tape aid in reducing the heat output, i plan on getting a cf hood and dont want anything bad to happen to that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i heard a rumor that if u take it off u can lose up to10 hp..

what do you think .. anyone heard this before?

fact or fiction

i think thats fiction i wouldnt thhink youd lose power

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It may raise the intake air temp. a bit, but 10 hp is a stretch.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
IF you remove the Heat Shield under the Car my Recommedation is to replace it with HEAT BARRIER TAPE.

It is made of Carbon Fiber and a Aluminum like material.... Spoon sells some to keep the Oil from Cooking in the Oil pan.

This stuff is great it Blocks Heat up to 1600 degrees C. Weighs next to nothing and is QUITE functional.

keeps the Heat out of the Cabin if you remove the Sheild from the CAT.

Put it on the Oil Pan to sheild the OIL from HEAT.

Line the factory Heat Shield with it and keep the TEMPS under the Hood even lower

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have every single heat shield off of my car except for the one on the manifold and I have had them off for about a year now.. My car is in the air all the time at the shop and I can see no negative signs by taking them off.. all I have noticed is that the area right under the ebrake gets a little warm after heavy driving..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts