Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i finally had it with my clouded headlights fromy my 95 ls , i put em in the oven and successfully seperated the lenses , now what are some good ways to go about getting this plastic clear and looking new again...

windex is not cutting it lol..

******** updated pix on page two check it out *********

MORE FINALIZED PIX >>>> CHECK PAGE 3
tell me what you think!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ive seen a kit at bumper to bumper/discount auto, that clears up headlights, i can find out the name tomorrow if you need it

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
article

that'll work if its oxidized from the outside..

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn.. still no avail

sittin here with rubbing comp and goof off .. getting high on fumes, headlight lens still not clearing up..

there are a few layers or clearcote i sprayed on them before..

i wonder if i dip em in paint thinner? any ideas

·
Registered
874 Posts
I say try the paint thinner...and pick up some of that polish. Have you considered even sanding them? That's a little extreme but if you used high grit and then finished off with the rubbing compound...it just might work.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i might try that , im still amazed i got them apart! but for now i wanna get them new looking as possible and sealed up GOOD

·
Registered
798 Posts
there was a show on the speed network, forgot what it was called, but they do restorations to old cars... i THINK they used some sort of metal polish.. it is gritty, kinda like the facial scrubs or like sand in mash potatoes. after that he put a coat of glass ..... <--- i forgot haha sorry... but the thing is the headlight was made of glass... but it went from haze to clear like that. seach it on google. "classic car headlight retore"

·
Registered
121 Posts
let me know how it goes, i plan to do this to my cars headlights...i wrecked the car but i figure i can get more for em if i clean em up...maybe put angel eyes in em

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just redid my 98 headlights a few weeks ago. WetSanded the lens with 800grit then 2000grit then steel wool and then cleaned them off real good and sprayed with High Temp Clear Coat. They look as good if not better than brand new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dude let us know how this goes...
I've got the same ride... and shes foggy as sh*t from the inside lense.....

Btw, how'd u take the headlights apart???

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok this is really starting to SUCK. went out bought lots of grits of sandpaper today , sanding them is just making them look hazy and more foggy, dont know how im going to polish that out , even soaked them in paint thinner and the clear paint still on the lense isnt all coming off.. grr

·
Registered
798 Posts
sanding???!!!??? thats just taking the topcoat of the plastic off, the most important part, now your headlights are vulnarable to heat and the cold. should have used metal polish, go on ebay and type in "metal polish" a few have came up, magics, flitz... all take off oxidation... thats the thing that fogged up your headlights. METAL POLISH, no need to spray clear coat. plus clear coat might take away some of the brightness from the head light, im not sure tho... but good luck anyway you do it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
really..if polish isnt working... sandpaper/clearcoating method isnt working.. then your either doing something wrong or your lights hate you..

use semi heavy grit sandpaper.. i always use 600.. don't be afraid to scuff the crap out of the lense.. then just apply a light layer of clearcoat to fill in the micro scratches. then apply one more layer for extra clarity.

If you say you have the lense apart from the assembly then do both inside and outside of the lense..

it HAS TO work. no matter what.
polishing lenses doesnt do diddily for me.
clearcoat/sandpaper is the way to go.

or if you just don't want to deal with BS.i'll sell you my 94-97 headlights if you want.. they are like brand new..

let me know... laterrr

·
Registered
527 Posts
bobyahead on Feb/13/04 said:
sanding???!!!??? thats just taking the topcoat of the plastic off, the most important part, now your headlights are vulnarable to heat and the cold. should have used metal polish, go on ebay and type in "metal polish" a few have came up, magics, flitz... all take off oxidation... thats the thing that fogged up your headlights.METAL POLISH, no need to spray clear coat. plus clear coat might take away some of the brightness from the head light, im not sure tho... but good luck anyway you do it.
your not sure.. your also not right.
i've tested sandpaper/clearcoat on 3 of my integras, past and present..
all headlights were fogged shining horrible light patterns..

all were easily made clear with at least 50% better clarity through the lense.
IMO, POLISH SUCKS!! i've tried never-dull, and about a million other brands.. all sucked, big time..

not to argue.. just don't say a method doesnt work, when it works better than any other method.. don't be offended. We are here to help people..

cheers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.