Team Integra Forums banner

Headgasket

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  TheRooster 
#1 ·
I heard thicker headgasket is a good thing in turbo application.

Yes it lower your static cr .. but does it have more purpose than just lowering cr ?

Also, can you point out some name or brand that make quality one ?

Finally, what is the thicker headgasket available ?
Is 3 layer "0.029 inche" the thicker ?

Briefly, what should I know about headgasket if I plan to go turbo ? lol .. thats simple

Thnx a lot guys !

Kosak

#2 ·
If you get a copper gasket (through SCE) you'll have to o-ring the block, which has to be done at a machine shop. They run from .5mm all the way up to 3mm. 1mm is right around stock thickness. Because the Integras came with metal head gaskets to begin with, you don't have the problem with blowouts like people with cork gaskets do. The only real advantage is that do you have tons of strength, so its good insurance and piece of mind.... and you have the opportunity to lower or raise your compression.

Again, the O-ring kit is a must for copper gaskets, as well as spraying the heck out of it with a copper sealant before you install it.

#7 ·
It's called Comtetic ! *LOL* Oh gee I have it installed on my car...It's gotta be AWESOME ! Who cares....I am sure the SCE is a fine product...although I have no idea what SCE is or means ?

Have you ever used an Endyn product ? FYI : Endyn does NOT make the Cometic head gasket ! They HIGHLY "Recommend" COMETIC for a reason ! I doubt very seriously Endyn cars are crap...*LOL*

#9 ·
BoostControl on Sep/01/02It's called Comtetic ! *LOL* Oh gee I have it installed on my car...It's gotta be AWESOME ! Who cares....I am sure the SCE is a fine product...although I have no idea what SCE is or means ? said:
Have you ever used an Endyn product ? FYI : Endyn does NOT make the Cometic head gasket ! They HIGHLY "Recommend" COMETIC for a reason ! I doubt very seriously Endyn cars are crap...*LOL*
I'm not going into the reasons I'd turn my nose at anything with Endyn's endorsement attached, and frankly those reasons aren't pertinent to the thread anyhow.
SCE has been making copper head gaskets for domestic cars for years and years. They're rated for some insanely high pressure, necessary since they're run on top fuel dragsters.
After pulling my head twice, and reapplying copper sealant to the gasket, I've yet to have any trouble with the water leaking. With steel gaskets you're relying almost entirely on the head studs compressing the gasket enough to get a good seal. With the copper you have both the sealant, and the o-ring which digs into the gasket and the head (or block... for an import it'd be the block). Less surface area at the point of contact means more pressure where the contact occurs. Thats just plain physics.

#13 ·
No... Blockgaurd goes inside the motor and is designed to fit between the block and the floating cylinder walls to strengthen the walls. But...This is a poor mans way of Re-Sleeving and Blockguards will scar your cylinder walls and weaken them evenutally. NOT a good idea !

#14 ·
kelly on Sep/01/02 said:
I have read that copper head gaskets don't seal the coolant passages very well and are used more for race than street applications. I have no experience with copper head gaskets. How long will a copper gasket last without leaking coolant? I wouldn't want to pull my head to reapply sealant as routine maintenance.
Copper gaskets don't seal well if you neglect to install the o-ring, and spray the gasket down with a high temp copper sealant. You only have to reapply the sealant as you would RTV for any other gasket: whenever you take the head off. The O-ring is vital and a lot of people don't install them because it has to be done by a knowledgable machine shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.