Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put a header on my car and it feels slower. I have an exhaust wiht no cat, do you think I could have too little back pressure now or are my header's crappy and choking down my air flow?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
What header do you have?

Too little backpressure is a myth, what you should be concerned about is exhaust velocity.

What exhaust do you have? what diameter is it?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Gvtec on Sep/08/02 said:
Sounds like one hell of a dyno you have there.
So true....

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ok basically what everyone is saying is that how do you know that your car is slower. a header is not going to make big change to be able to FEEL if your car is any faster or slower. only a real dyno is going to be able to do that. Your car may very well be even faster now(minutly)and you dont even know it. That wouldnt suprise me at all.
Also let us know what your whole setup is and if there are any unusual sounds or anything like that goin on.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
LMFAO.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/08/02 said:
Wow guys, way to be assholes.
tell me about..geez. but if you have a 4-1 header you will lose low-end power (less torque - which would explain the "slowness") but gain more in the top end. 4-2-1 headers are really just a compromise so you don't lose low-end but still get some gain (hence the mid-range may pull a tad more).

so in actuallity the dyno will tell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The header's are obx 4-2-1!! (ha ha laugh all you want, I thought less money spent on one part would mean more parts and more horses, However I'm thinking I'm wrong!) I have that header, no cat, and a dynomax muffler. It just feels like it is bogged down in the middle rpm's. I know I don't have a dyno (but If you drive your car all the time you can notice diffrence!) To answer all the smart ass comments. No I didn't expect a huge hp increase and no I didn't drive without a header on! Basically all I wanted to know was wether or not the too little back pressure story was a myth or not!!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/08/02 said:
Wow guys, way to be assholes.
I don't think that the intention of some of the sarcasm was meant to be taken as "asshole-ish". But he's not giving us anything to work w/. What type of header is it? What type of engine do you have? (unless you check his profile you'd never know he's running an SI engine) You can't expect people to help if you don't give them any information.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
You could have found out about the 'backpressure myth' in MD's and surferx's articles...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Ok he beat me to the punch (by one minute) about not telling us what header he has. The smart ass comments should be taken w/ a grain of salt. And you have to admit.....Fen's comment was kinda funny.

You do not need a certain amount of backpressure to make optimal power. This is a myth that is disspelled in Mike Delaney's header and exhaust articles. (hint: did you read the articles?) I suggest you get your car dynoed and analyze the power curve along w/ the data from wideband O2 sensor if you really want to get to the bottom of what is making your car "feel" slower.

edit: damn it. JK beat me on that one too!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
BlueTeg on Sep/09/02 said:
edit: damn it. JK beat me on that one too!
A little slow tonight? Lol, j/k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts