Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, all of the bolts keeping the headers on arent that hard to get off except on of those damn spring loaded ones that is kept on by the self locking nut.

Any suggestions on how to get the nut off? It is partially stipped now due to about an hour of trying. I have used penetrant and let it sit for an hour and used it again. The bolt is loose but I cannot get the nut to stay still while I get the other side off. Should I get a new one from acura and get a hacksaw to take the old one off?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Almost everyone I have talked to just cut the bolt off and replaced em with new ones.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
We used a wrench to hold the nut and a breaker bar on the bolt for mine. It wasn't bad at all. Those bolts are $9.23 a piece (not including the spring) at Honda! (I accidentally broke one of those bolts on the axle-back.)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
break 'em and replace 'em. that's the easiest way. you can re-use the spring and washers, and just pick up some stainless bolts at a hardware store. oh yeah... safety goggles are a must on this one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you guys refering to the ones that connect the header to the cat??

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just want you guys to know. We got them off that day. Took a LOT of force. Damn near broke our torgue wrench. The headers are on and I'm loving em. No more 3rd gen GSR header rattle. BTW they were Comptech 421s. THanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Dude! did you say you used your torque wrench to take them off???? BAD BAD BAD! you'll break it. get a "breaker bar" it is a solid bar, which you could slip a pipe over the end for more leverage.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Please don't use the torque wrench to remove nuts and bolts. Get it callibrated, It might be damaged already.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it was a bad choice I will admit, but the torgue we used can be "reset" so to speak so its not the end of the world. Breaker bar are a LOT nicer, but we didn't realize mine was missing till we were under the car and 1/2 of the bolts were off, or I would have gone and bought another:) (I looked for a metal pipe to put on the end of a socket wrench for more leverage but we didnt have one...sigh) Thanks for your help again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts