Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys!!!! I am sad to say my car is out of commision for a couple of days due to a damn blown head gasket.....Does anyone have any tips or anything on stripping off the head and replacing it??? I have all the basic tools, getting a torque wrench, but anything I should keep an eye out for?? Anyone know of a website that has an article on this procedure???
Thanks alot!
Nick

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you should get the head deck and and block deck spotlessly cleaned. Dishsoap or a degreaser like Simple Green works. Replace oil control O ring. Check the head for warpage by measuring the end width and diagonal lengths of the head using a straight edge.

I would replace the head bolts or get ARP head studs. If you use the latter, then use the ARP lubicant provided and follow their torque down specs and instructions. Always tighten in 2 stages (22 lb ft first time and then 61 lb ft the second time) in the torque sequence prescribed by Honda (start at the center set of 2 bolts vertically, then next set immediately left, then next set immediately right, further left, furthest right...see the Helm's manual diagram). If you are using Honda head bolts, use engine oil to lubricate them and their washers before torqueing down. Obviously the center sset of 2 bolts are the longest. And obviously this is straight out of a Helms manual which is something you should buy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't buy a copper gasket unless you plan on having machine work done to the block. It doesn't really say anywhere, but you have to have the block grooved to fit .040" steel o-rings for proper sealing with the copper gaskets. Just a tip if you'd been looking at them.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question pertaining to this big project I have coming up (I have next Tues-Thursday off and a free garage to do it in) is ITR-VTEC water pump??? What do you need to change over to this?? I will be getting a new timming belt and everything, what other suggestions do you think I should do?? I have some experiance with porting heads, I was going ot clean up the runners, and gasket match the exhaust and intake, what else would you suggest for a nice clean-up???
Thanks,
Nick

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
nicklk on Aug/25/02 said:
alright!!! awesome! another question is where in the hell do I get a helms manual?? I hear everyone praise these here, but I have gone everywhere to find one, any online ordering place?? Let me know!
Thanks for the info Michael!
Nick
typing "helms manual" at google.com results in:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

1 - 8 of 8 Posts