Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1990 integra, base model. New starter, new ignition coil, turn key/push button ignition, was running fine, turned off for five minutes, wouldn't start back up even under compression start. (Compression is fine, did not jump timing)
Had towed home and checked for spark. Yes Checked for fuel- yes to fuel rail (Here's my first question: "Do I test injectors by voltage as car is turned over? Or Ohm's resistance with ignition on?") Because I've sprayed starter fluid into air system and it still won't start.
My better half said it sounded to her like it was flooded but I can't actually check until later.UPDATE: Still haven't tried to start but all four plugs were soaking wet. Drying out now
The dizzy and wires are good, running NGK V-groove plugs. As I said, I have spark.
Thank you

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
The internal combustion engine requires 3 basic things to operate:

1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Compression

You may think you have all three, but if you did, the engine would be running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the [thermostat ground] homie I've had that happen to me too.. at the gas station of all places lol and that's all it was

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like you do not have spark, or else your plugs wouldn’t be wet and you’d have a running car.

Get one of those clip on spark plug testers and test each plugs. Disconnect injector clip when doing this.

Recheck all grounds and clean. These engines are very susceptible to poor ground connections. Can’t find a picture right now, but the manual Honda manual is available for free with some searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with previous posts on checking grounds, this should be one of the first things you check.
Im Also gonna have agree with these guys on testing your spark. I don’t think you have spark from what you’ve described

If you do not have spark then Test your ignition control module, I’ve seen them fail on a few b series engines.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see a lot of good advice up there. That said, I had the diaphragm on my fuel pressure regulator explode while I was driving on the freeway. Flooding my engine with fuel.

At the time I didn't know what had happened. I smelled fuel. And the car would crank & not start. Still had spark, timing & ignition. Had to drain & refill oil, replace the regulator ( I keep extra parts like that & dizzy parts in my trunk just in case). Then I unplugged the dizzy & fuel injectors, pulled the spark plugs, and cranked it over for short bursts. I got to watch raw fuel squirt out if my tail pipe & through the spark plug tubes. Quite funny.

Anyway, It sounds to me like you might have injectors stuck open. The way I test injectors is with alligator clamp test leads and a 9volt battery & some carb cleaner or starting fluid.

The injectors fit surprisingly well in the top of a 2-liter bottle of pepsi. After getting a small hose attached to the top injector and filled with some kind of liquid or cleaner, I energized the injector a few times. And hold for a couple seconds.

That will usually give you a rough idea of the injector health.

Or you could try swapping them out for known good ones from a pic-a-part or ebay.

May not be the problem. But it's a good trick to learn. And one less problem to cross off your list if I'm wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts