Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to say I tried to search for some answers first. I didn't exactly know the words to say. So if you've dicsussed this before, please post the keyword or thread.

Now then, I have a Short ram intake and DC Sports headers. Two places I goto for parts and assistance have both told me that I can ruin my engine if I take too long to buy an exhaust system. I don't want a loud exhaust at all. I love the way my intake sounds and that's enough for me. Will not buying an exhaust system negatively affect my engine? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
655 Posts
"RUIN" your engine?? I'm no Mike D but I would say I highly doubt it. How could not running exhaust ruin your engine??

I have an AEM short ram and Greddy EVO catback. Ask them if I will "RUIN" my engine if I don't buy some 4-2-1 headers from them within the next month or so.

Maybe they just meant you won't be able to "take advantage" of your current mods w/o exhaust or some crap. BUT I THINK it sounds like they are squeezing you for $$$. Find a new shop, bro.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well it could create backpressure. If you read the articles, it tells you. When you get the new headers, what your doing is allowing more air to to be able to be passed through the whole system. If you dont have the exhaust (acutally the bigger piping), its like takin a fire hose and sticken a garden hose nozzle on it, see what im sayin? With the exhaust piping you'll be able to allow all the extra air to flow smoother. Please someone correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mecklar on Sep/01/02 said:
Two places I goto for parts and assistance have both told me that I can ruin my engine if I take too long to buy an exhaust system.
Those people are just trying to make money...but it would be a good idea to pick up an exhaust just go with an ITR exhaust if you dont want a loud one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From how they explained it to me, the added back pressure isn't good for the engine. The increased airflow needs to be complete. I don't know if thats true or not?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no clue where to find a type r exhaust. From the dealer? ebay? heeh... any suggestions on where to find one without ToNS of searching. Money isn't a HUGE issue. I wouldn't spend more than I would on a typical aftermarket system. But please, more responses on my question would be appreciated.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Could you somehow run the catback mandrel (sp?) piping in the size you want and then swap the muffler at the end. weld on something with a smaller tip and more sound deadening ability than your standard import exhaust??

I dunno mine was bolt on... but I would think it would help. or get a tanabe.those come with silencers and they work pretty damn good. friend has a 95 accord ex with tanabe and uses his silencer don't hear it.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
what is reversion soulchild?
Backwards exhaust flow...are you sure you read the articles???

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NOPE.. as a matter a fact, i haven't read any. but if you wanna point me to the article that will explain my dilemma, be my guest.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Well from the look of your posts, you don't know a whole lots about exhausts and how they work...Go to articles and read exhaust basics by SurferX, and there is an exhaust article by Michael Delaney too. I would post you a link, but the fact that I had to tell you about these articles when they are right there and self-accessible is enough work on my part....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mecklar, why dont you just find the article, we are not your slaves. If you want to learn, you cant always just rely on other people for help, you have to take some actions upon yourself. Its not all too hard to find, and it would be a lot faster to read those than wait for people to answer questions which are covered in them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Psch91 on Sep/01/02 said:
Mecklar, why dont you just find the article, we are not your slaves. If you want to learn, you cant always just rely on other people for help, you have to take some actions upon yourself. Its not all too hard to find, and it would be a lot faster to read those than wait for people to answer questions which are covered in them.
haha... that's funny.You might not have read the whole thread, but if you did you would know that i'm not to informed on the subject. I don't know what to look for. Which is why i'm asking for help. I would rather spend a little more time waiting for a good, knowledgable response, rather than read tons of things that don't make too much sense to me. follow me?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
didn't see ur post justin .. omw to look at the article...
Ok, if something confuses you, THEN is the time to ask questions. That narrows it down some and eliminates the most basic stuff....let us know, we're here to help if you don't understand something

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/listArticles.asp?Show=1

Hope that helps.

What the guy at the shop is saying makes no sense. With an aftermarket header your system is creating less backpressure than it was before. It may not have elminated as much as if you upgraded your cat and exhaust as well but it's certainly not making any MORE backpressure like he would lead you to believe. I hate shady-ass shops, I make sure they know they are a bunch of fools everytime I run into one around here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts