Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 98 ls manual and i have been having some problems shifting gears lately. It seems that when im shifting somethin is causing my shifter to like hold back or somethin. Its a weird thing to describe and i dont know much about this stuff but i know it shouldnt be doin this. Its mostly happening coming out of 1st and goin in to 2nd, its hard for me to shift instead of having that smooth easy feeling. I have to pull pretty hard ont he shift knob to get the car in and out of gear, wats goin on, is my tranny bad?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i occasionally have a similar problem except its usually when i go to back out of something like a parking space (shifting into reverse, obviously). sometimes it does it with other shifts too. its really irregular tho so i can't figure it out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
How many miles on the car ? Do you drive it hard ? It could be the clutch is on it's way out .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 65,000 miles and my clutch is gettin soft on me...... but i dunno.. I dont drive it to hard... But this shifting thing is really bothering me...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had that issue too, brought it to the dealer since it is still under warranty and they said it the clutch fluid needed changing as it was over due, so they changed it at 100$cdn. Notice a slight difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well not sure if its necessarily the clutch fluid, but get it checked to see if its dirty or if it needs to be chandged. Have you flushed it since you've had the car? If not, that could be it, as my 99 was past due.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yeah, I would flush/fill your clutch and tranny fluids.

Do it yourself though, both are an easy process and will save you alot of money from the dealership/shop. It will probably cost you $30 to do both if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If it is your clutch you will notice a problem shifting INTO gear. For instance, say you are shifting into first. If the clutch has problems slipping into gear right from the start, it is your clutch. Just a little problem shifting from first to second may be driver error ( no offense LOL )or clutch fluid. I know my clutch spring blew out of mine, and I had severe problems getting into gear, especially reverse. I suggest getting it inspected by Acura immediately to avoid problems. If it is a bad clutch there is a possibility of breaking your transmission. Good luck man, I hope my post helped.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i also have a problem going from first to second, i flushed the clutch and still have that problem. i have 48,000 miles and i drive hard sometimes. i thought it was the short shifter binding a little but i have talked to other teg owners in the area and a few of them have the same problem minus the shifter. still smokes 'em in second though

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think its the transmisson fluid. Something may have got into it. When you go to flush and refill it, make sure you use genuine Honda tranny fluid. Anything else will make it worse. My friend once used a lightweight oil in his GSR and the thing shifted like someone poured sand into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine is in the shop as we speak for the same thing. they said my clutch and hydralics are bad. just hurry up and take it in because I was having a little trouble shifting and I just waited and then one day it went out I was at a red light and it would not go into any gear so I towed it to my tranny man.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the same problem and I can tell you that it is a driver error.You have to clutch in all the way and then change gears

·
Registered
865 Posts
As I said on another post, I disagree w/ all this pointing to the clutch. The only way the clutch would make it difficult to shift is if the clutch plate wasn't disengaging. This would be a problem with the hydrolic system or the fork. I would be thinking more along the lines of shift linkage or internals of the tranny. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
in regards to "driver error" or clutch problems... if you have trouble getting it into gear sometimes especially reverse, i BELIEVE all it means is your synchros aren't lined up correctly, that's why if you are trying to go in reverse and you give it a little gas it'll go right in. also, to support this statement, i can shift into 3rd and 4th w/o my clutch engaged. how you ask? well if you rev match PERFECTLY you can get the gear to slip right in, no grinding... but i wouldn't recommend it. once again, it's your synchros..just rev it a tad, it will go in.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was having the same problem. it shifted into first fine and all the rest of the gears as long as i wasnt too far up in the rpm's . Then all of a sudden it got bad so i yanked the tranny . Sure enough the clutch was smoked . I got the flywheel resurfaced and installed an exedy clutch and now shifts are perfect and the car pulls alot harder . I really doubt tranny fluid or hydrolic fluid is the problem .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts