Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 integra LS special edition
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time posting to any forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. I recently bought a 95 special edition. When I bought it was a little hard to shift but nothing really bad until a few days ago. Its was getting really hard to shift, It will go into gear but I have to push it pretty hard and sometimes it grinds but most of the time it gets "stuck" and just stays in neutral until I slow down. So I took a look at the slave cylinder. I pulled back the boot only to get sprays with oil. Replaced the slave, felt the same. I checked out the master cylinder and it was leaking a little bit so I replaced it. Feels exactly the same but now I have a stiffer clutch pedal. My first assumption is the clutch but, it goes through all the gears just fine while stopped or going really slow but as soon as I get around 20mph I get a rock hard shifter that only wants to cooperate if I rev match perfectly or granny shift it. I changed the trans fluid when I got it but I made the mistake of just putting regular motor oil in it. I know now, but at the time I just googled it and looked at the owners manual and it called for 10w30. If I'm trying to park or am in really heavy traffic it will shudder for a little bit like the clutch it still engaged even when I mash the pedal but if I coast to a stop it acts normal. Sorry for such a long post but i didnt want to leave anything out. I did a search btw and I couldn't find this problem. Everything is stock. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
You're gonna have to pull the trans. Check the disc & pressure plate & throw out bearing.

If that all checks out, you'll need to open it up. It's easy to pull apart. Just don't forget to pull the springs and detents before you separate the case.

Once inside, you're going to need to check gear teeth, the shifter hubs, synchros & forks.

My guess is you will at least need synchros and hubs. Pray you didn't grind gear teeth away.

Not that it's that hard to replace gears. But they are expensive, new. Or you could gamble on used gears or sets.

If you are not comfortable tearing into the gearbox, I would try to find a quality replacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Do you thinks its possible that the clutch is just burnt out? Wheres a good place to find these parts? The hubs are the pieces that the shift fork pushes/pulls to engage the gears correct? Do you think that the motor oil in the trans could have caused this? Again, thanks for the help!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's possible that it's the clutch. But it's good not to make assumptions. Just pull it & find out. Plus it would be a shame to just replace the clutch, and still have the problem & have to pull the trans again. Just pop it open. Take a look. Also you're gonna want to resurface or replace the flywheel while you're in there. My old flywheel had burn marks & actual cracking. Not good lol.

Yea, the hubs or collars that move with the forks. They have many names. If the synchros are worn out, then the gears will fail to slow down when shifting. Causing the grinding. It could be a lot of things. But you already replaced the hydraulics. So you can cross that off the list. So that's good.

The main thing is to figure out what's going on. Then while you have it apart, replace wear items like bearings and synchros.

You need a 3 jaw puller or a press to get the bearings off the main shaft. And the countershaft just has a nut on top. Once the nut is off, the gears can be pulled by hand.

There are a few videos on youtube showing tricks & tips. The hardest part in my opinion is the C-clip that holds the main shaft. Getting it off isn't too bad. Mildly fiddly. But getting it back on is a *****.

Finding parts is a task. I try to get oem pieces online if possible from like oemacuraparts.com. But there are other companies that sell these parts, like Synchrotech. Although oem is best. Avoid cheap no name kits on ebay.

Motor oil isn't ideal. Long term. There are better fluids available. But I doubt that oil made this happen. It's just time & wear.

Honda's oem manual trans fluid is best for normal driving. Gm Synchromesh can be used as well as many others. But motor oil & regular gear oil are not ideal. And can cause premature wear & worse gas mileage.

But that's a whole other topic for debate.

Bobistheoilguy.com is a good site for info on different oils and gear lube. There are many threads on this topic. You can learn about there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really hoping it's just the clutch but it's the original trans with 208k. If the gears and hubs look ok can I get away with just replacing the synchros and the input bearing?OEM transmission parts are quite pricey. I might test my luck with a junk yard trans.........if I can find one lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yea, I mean if everything looks ok. You really wanna check everything really good. Take your time. It's good to look at reference pictures of new engagement teeth on the gears and synchros and the splines on the hubs/collars. Otherwise it all starts looking the same after a while.

But yea, it would be easier to just buy a good used one for now. And rebuild the old one in your free time for practice. While keeping your car on the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest problem is I live an apartment and dont have anywhere to work on the tranny long term. Thanks for you're help, I'll post pics when I split the trans. This is my first manual car so there's a good chance i just roasted the clutch. Only started grinding recently and when it got bad i stopped driving it. Hopefully i stopped before i did some serious damage. I will be praying to the car gods tonight............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And when you said super tech did you mean synchrotech? I think super tech is the Walmart auto brand lol

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sounds like the synchros to me...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A not so good looking clutch. I didnt end up cracking the tranny open. I cant afford the synchros anyway. Already changed the clutch, just need to put the axles back in but that can wait until tomorrow. Is it possible to get 200k on a clutch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The springs on the old clutch are so loose I bet I can get them out with my fingers and there were shards of metal broken off the pressure plate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After clutch replacement and honda mtf. It shifts like butter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car gods answered my prayers....... thanks for all your input

1 - 16 of 16 Posts