Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to some people about h22 swaps today, and then I heard about an H2b swap. I searched it up on the site to see if there's more info on it, and low and behold I didn't find anything when I searched up "h2b", "h22 b series", and numerous other keywords.

Apparently, it's swapping in an h22 while utilizing whatever b-series tranny to avoid the horrible axle issues and troubled shifting...and from what I see, it's pretty much like a poor man's k20 swap.

I looked it up on the wonderful internet and I found this kit, and it seems like a really really great idea.

I was just wondering if I was stupid or if it is a really great idea AND also to shine some light on it. Hopefully this hasn't already been covered, i'd feel like an idiot. If it is, please excuse me...i'm covered in oil and I haven't slept in 21 hours.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
great find. thanks for sharing that.

how does it avoid the axle alignment problem ?

the engine mount angles are still the same.

you'll have to look at whether you can move the H22's powerband to a higher rpm range by tuning (mostly with cam gears) to align with your particular Bseries tranny's gear split (rpm operating range).

on a b18b tranny I don't see that being a problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MichaelDelaney on Feb/11/06 said:
great find. thanks for sharing that.

how does it avoid the axle alignment problem ?

the engine mount angles are still the same.

you'll have to look at whether you can move the H22's powerband to a higher rpm range by tuning (mostly with cam gears) to align with your particular Bseries tranny's gear split (rpm operating range).

on a b18b tranny I don't see that being a problem.

Team-integra has shown me a lot of great information, i'm just trying to return the favor. I'm really suprised it wasn't on the site, but it's a GREAT find.

I'm just saying...from my experience, b-series axles are a lot better, and there is probably more aftermarket/beastly b-series axles available compared to an h-series/f-series.

I figured with some tuning, running an h2b would be FAR better than the traditional b-series or h-series swap.

I should do one of these to my next Honda...i'll be sure to do a write up(which will be in a year to a year or two due to numerous other financial obligations...but it's better than never).

Anyone else know anything/have any input?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I read the post on hondatech about it and it appears to leave the B series transmission in its stock spot which makes axle alignment stock like. The post also mentioned that he cut his E/T times by .3 which he blamed on going from the h cable tranny to the b hydro tranny. Anyone have a link to that guys big write up on HT?
Cost was somewhere around 500 bucks

*** found it HERE

Notice the hood clearance~

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Borda_Patrol on Feb/12/06 said:
Notice the hood clearance~

well that's the 1 downside (PCV valve and MAP sensor on a Holley TB) and the other is the shaved crank pulley down to 1 belt.

at least you know what you'll be facing.

I'd like to see if he tells us about his driveshafts and how long they last.

learn from his error: get the Hasport mounts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really would love to do this swap with a dual sequential setup...all in good time.

The kit costs $500, and I could find an h22 for WAY cheaper than a GSR or k20 swap, it would have more torque than a GSR swap(maybe k20, I dunno what the torque is on those), so in the end it'd be worth it IMO.

I heard clearance issues, but nothing I couldn't tackle... I laugh in the face of clearance issues(heh).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your also gonna need a wiring harness or able to splice and rig up some kind of contraption for all the sensors to work correctly. Hasport sells a plug and play harness for I believe for 300 bucks but it requires a core to do it. Also on another note, I cant seem to find much articles on h series motors. I have heard the h22a1 is a closed deck motor and would possibly be a better engine for boosting, any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
well you know you dont have to go H22...

my GF just bought a very clean for its age, 91 Prelude... I expected to see some sort of H22 under the hood because from what I know about preludes and from when everyone says, preludes only run H22's.

well to my surprise her 91 Prelude has a B20 in it.. IMO it looks like someone took a B-series and a K-series and put them together. It looks like a normal B-series engine but considerably bigger, and it tilts backwards like the K-series does... weird.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
silver, preludes only came in b-, h-, and f-; one generation if I recall had an a-series, (an 18 and 20) but it was like 2nd generation, ofwhich I have nAdA knowledge about.

the b-series (B20A) was more a common thing in the 2nd/3rd generation lineup. 3rd generation preludes are the ones you hear about, they are UBER cool lol, especially one in pristine cond. those were the B20a's and B21a's, from there 4th to end, it mostly incorporated the h- and f-

~P2P

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
yah, we tend to call it the bastard child.. lol..

~P2P

[EDIT:] well I didn't know that V V V , I have read around about putting a b16 head on, but not ao b18, perhaps that's what he, we meant..?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
eonflux on Feb/24/06 said:
The older prelude B series cannot be swapped with other B series parts.

not true. B20A can use some B18A/B parts.

the B20 head = B18B head

we know that you can make a B20VTEC.

any Bseries header will attach to the head and clear the oil pan but will be different in length requiring adjustment of the exhaust Bpipe length.
the trannies can be used.

so exactly what do you mean by "cannot be swapped with other B series parts" ?

how an H22-> Bseries tranny thread became hijacked into a B20 thread is a bit off here but I don't want misinformation (unintentional I'm sure) on this forum and have to correct it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B20A_engine

The prelude's B18a was a destroked version of this, according to wikipedia. "By some, these are not considered to be part of the B-series group of engines because they are not compatible with any of the other B-series parts or chassis."

I know that just by virtue of being tilted, you're not going to have 100% compatibility. Also, the first versions have carbs and first appear in 1986. I don't know the specifics, but I think this sounds like a totally different engine series.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From what I understand to keep ps all you have to do is get a 97 and up prelude ps pump and you can retain your stock ps lines. As far as the ac, i believe you just needs a new custom ac compressor bracket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thats nice to know. Thanks. I know lots of people say to forget about the p/s and the a/c but i like them little luxuries.
This H2B swap i now even more apealing to me.

Anyone know how good this swap is as a daily driver?

My set up now is a B18B and ITR tranny. Works very well but it revs high while cruising on the freeway. I think its roughly 4,200 rpm at about 80mph. Around town its very fun. But I think the H22 would be a lot more fun plus you retain the Reliability of a Honda by using a stock engine. And i'd also like to have some VtAk yo...

Anyone know where I could get an H22 to Integra swap wiring harness? Or have one made?

·
Registered
150 Posts
oneFastAk on May/09/06 said:
From what I understand to keep ps all you have to do is get a 97 and up prelude ps pump and you can retain your stock ps lines. As far as the ac, i believe you just needs a new custom ac compressor bracket.
I thought you lost the p/s and the a/c because of having to trim the crank pulley down so it would fit next to the frame rail...
???
I was wondering if there was another way to modify the frame and be able to keep the pulley in tact? That way you could run all the belts and be able to keep the a/c and p/s...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just realized I had the title wrong. I gotta start sleeping and get a new job.

But to the above post, an H2b is very reasonable. I'd get it, chances are noone has one near you so you'll be the cool cat of the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.