this is my 97 rs

here's a pic of under the hood

the ecu and you can see no carpet or sound deadener

the jdm guage cluster

thats it for pics right now i also have:
koni front struts
tokico blue rear struts
progress h-swap drop springs
the interior that i left in there is black except the steering wheel. (if you have one let me know)
modified "stock" exhaust
ACT 6 puck w/ HD pressure plate
ACT 12 lbs flywheel
B&M fpr w/guage on the rail
walbro fuel pump
jdm itr radiator
in the warmer seasons it has 2000 civic si wheels

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should work better now

·
Registered
318 Posts
how does the car feel?...can u feel that the car is heavier?...i was considering dropping in an H22...but i was kinda talked out of it...now that i see a member with it in their car...i can get some opinions..lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have driven his car and really w/ no power steering it is fine... i can barley tell the differnece in b to h series... just that the H series has alot more power over the b series

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i still have heat, the integra drives just like the 90 hatch i used to have. my car has a lot more stripped out of it than you can see from the pics so its not very heavy. its not that hard to hook up power streering anyways. i just don't feel the need for it. the h22 doesn't really make the car feel heavier, especially if you have decent suspension. torque is a beautiful thing. thanks for the comments guys.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
silentdave on Feb/10/04 said:
the h22 doesn't really make the car feel heavier, especially if you have decent suspension.
Obviously you haven't road raced this car...

·
Registered
793 Posts
JustinKlemgold on Feb/10/04 said:
Quote: silentdave on Feb/10/04the h22 doesn't really make the car feel heavier, especially if you have decent suspension. Obviously you haven't road raced this car...
This is somewhat untrue now. 2-3 years ago yes. But with technology (engine mounts, suspension....)on parts right now you don't feel the understeer anymore. You guys won't believe how many Civics and integra are sportin an H22 in SCCA now.

Silentdave:
hey but i'm not saying that your setup is good to go now for roadracing

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
It's an 80lb difference, not like it adds 200+lbs like all the undereducated say it does. I would just recommend to anyone who wants an H22 to make sure you upgrade your suspension. If you don't road race it shouldn't become a problem. I've even heard of a few members on H-T autocrossing w/H&R race springs and Koni Yellows and they say it doesn't feel any different than before. Just remember that if you change something like weight up front, it won't ever steer the same again.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Hakamoto on Feb/10/04 said:
It's an 80lb difference, not like it adds 200+lbs like all the undereducated say it does.
I dunno if you're calling me undereducated or not here...

only 80 lbs....hmmm, that's it? [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hakamoto on Feb/10/04 said:
I would just recommend to anyone who wants an H22 to make sure you upgrade your suspension. I've even heard of a few members on H-T autocrossing w/H&R race springs and Koni Yellows and they say it doesn't feel any different than before the swap.
True, true, true.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
"relocating the battery to the trunk, using a civic manual steering rack, and using a lighter fluidyne rad can ease the front weight loading of 70-100 lb. from the H22 engine. You can beef up the rear springs/shocks and go to a big rear swaybar to get less understeer but your weight distribution really moves the polar moment of inertia forward and there is a lot of understeer at the limit regardless (saying you have a better suspension means nothing...70-100 lb more load on the front wheels that have to do both the braking and turning at the same time is a lot, if you know anything about autoXing or road racing).

It's simple physics folks."

Originally quoted by MD....

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
And more...in the articles....

"The downsides are :

a) The H22A and tranny will add at least 100 lb to the front of your Integra compared to a Bseries engine and to some people this is not important. However, the polar moment of inertia (i.e. how easily the car will turn/spin based on weight distribution) is drastically changed and the cornering speeds will be reduced since you won't make turns as fast without ploughing forward with understeer.

b) you will lose your A/C and power steering (or relocate the A/C) to make room in the engine bay for this engine and tranny.

c) you are stuck with the H22 tranny. Unlike the B series where you can mix and match stock trannies with different gear ratios, final drives, and LSDs, you have only 1 choice."

And more yet...

"you people really need to learn about weight coupling and suspension geometry before you dive into a front heavy swap. A lot of people who say that this does not affect your handling obviously don't push their cars hard enough in turns to know this statement to be an utter lie or spoken out pure ignorance.

I can safely say the majority of people who don't road race or autocross here , really have no clue as to the negative consequences of this swap."

All right, I'm done...I just wanted this all out there for anyone who may consider this swap...it is dangerous if you try to push this car on the street because it WILL understeer.

If you are going in a straight line, then cool, go for it. But everyone has to turn eventually...

BTW, you did a good job on the swap it looks like....the engine looks weird to me but Kudos to you for doing the swap. =)

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
And btw, I'm not trying to bring this thread down, I just want the other side of the coin out there. Understeer is dangerous. I'd hate to see some kid smack into a guardrail because of this swap.

·
Registered
891 Posts
sweet. most people drive street cars, so i think the h22 is sweet. However when i swapped, i didnt go h22 because of the lack of parts, ie lsd tranny ect and i want ps and ac, thats really sweet though, i bet you can break it into the 13's stripped out like that

1 - 20 of 47 Posts