Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for the 'best' suspension setup for my '95 Sedan. I got my choices down to three: Neuspeed Sport, H&R Sport, or Eibach Sportline. The Neuspeeds and the Eibachs are all progressive, whereas the H&Rs are linear in the front, and progressive in the rear.

I ran a search for "linear progressive" and I came up with one result: a post by Ken_Masters "Linear vs. Progressive." Basically, in this post, he says that in hard cornering, linear offers the most predictability in handling through the turn, regardless of bumps. Progressive suspensions, though offering better ride quality, are disadvantageous as in hard cornering, if you hit a bump, the rates change? or predictability isn't as good? or you can lose control? What I understood from that part of the article is that linear is better than progressive any day. Other articles that I came across agree with my understanding.

SO, as my topic states, since H&R Sports are Linear in the front and Progressive in the rear and have a spring rate of 276/276?!.... (I read that the front should be a higher spring rate than the rear) What kind of control/predictability/adverse effects would that have on hard cornering/driving?

I need to know whether I should get in on the deal going on the H&R's or if I should wait on Neuspeeds/Eibachs.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I have herd conflicting things about the H&R Sports. While it apears the rear springs are linear and that the last two coils are just dead coils and don't effect the springrate, a representative on the phone told me they definetly were progressive rate.

Front higher than the rear, and rear higher than front, is all based on the rest of a setup. If you run no front sway bar, a 32mm rear sway bar, adding to the rear could quite possibly cause very bad things in the handling department. (horrid weight transfer, overloading the tires, and spinning).

Having progressive springs in the rear isn't going to be terrible. Upon corner entry, they are initally going to act on the lower springrate coils. However as more weight is transfered and the springs are compressed more they will shift into the higher springrates.

Anytime you hit a large bump midcorner, there is going to be an unsettling of springrates and a mild to large loss of traction. Progressive springs may make it slightly worse, but I wouldn't worry about it. Most tracks that you would be going fast should be pothole-free.

·
Registered
704 Posts
your last paragraph explains my situation on the streets now,very unstable,even going straight on the highway ,if i hit some bumps on the road the car seems to want to skip/hop/shudder around...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the awesome reply, Ross. You did mention running without a front sway bar and a 32mm rear sway bar...Being as my car has a 22mm in the front and a 14mm in the rear, if i put in a 24 in the front and a 22 in the rear (with , would that be detrimental to my handling?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts