Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been through a few suspension setups over the last couple years and never been completely satisfied with what I've got out of it. I take my car to the occasional road course event (about twice per year), but 99.99% of its driving time is as a DD. My suspension setups have reflect this, as I'm quite concerned with ride quality.

First I started with Tokico HP shocks and OEM Type R springs and a 22mm rear sway. Mild drop, (less than .75") quite a bit stiffer than LS springs and throttle lift oversteer could be induced.

Within 6 months I had blown the HP's due to their extremely minimal damping abilities, and found a sweet deal on Koni yellows/H&R sport springs/front camber kit. So I looked up the specs online for the sports and found 276/276 lbs/in front/rear. Seeing as this is slightly higher than the ITR springs I sold the ITR springs and assembled my suspension.

Immediately I knew something was wrong. My throttle lift oversteer was completely gone and the ass end of my car felt "squishy" (read body roll). I decided to check the rates for the sports myself. Equipped with my vernier caliper I strode boldly to my car to determine my suspensions fate.

What I found was quite shocking. The front rates were 266 lbs/in which is pretty close to what I thought. Then I got to the rears, and got 142 lbs/in. I was seriously disappointed. So I decided to assemble a list of spring rates and their related wheel rates to determine my direction.

I came up with this:

I decided on the last row there, the H&R sport fronts, with the Neuspeed Race rears. I came to this conclusion for a couple reasons.

1. Whenever I've increased the front rates I've noticed a felt increase in discomfort on my local roads. I live in the great white north (ie: ontario, Canada) and our roads take some serious abuse from the weather conditions that are like Florida in the summer and the N. pole in the winter (slight exaggeration). Anyways, I wanted to keep the front rates low to accommodate these road surface conditions.

2. Dirt cheap prices on Neuspeed race springs. A set can be found for the sub $100 range, probably because people buy them thinking "cool, RACE springs!" and then they drive around our piss-poor roads and get sick of breaking their backs.

So, as it sits right now I have H&R sports in the front, Neuspeed Race springs in the rear, as well as a 22mm rear sway bar and a front upper bar. I also have an ITR LSD, which may or may not be of consequence to you guys.

I must say its been a while since I've had a ****load of fun driving my car, the rear feels really solid and the car has become quite darty/dodgy which is nice for avoiding pot holes/sunken manhole covers.

The car really likes to rotate now, and I'm very impressed. Most importantly I've found that although the rear rates have now more than doubled, the ride comfort hasn't decreased by the same amount, it is stiffer, but not enough to make me cringe too much over potholes. I hope I can make it out to another road course event this year to test to the limit.

Also, for anyone who is concerned with wheel gap differences front to rear, I found very little change from the H&R sport rears (they are 1.5" advertised drop, the Neuspeed race springs are 1.75" advertised drop). And if anything it looks identical front to rear now.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've got the original receipt so I'll be holding onto these Koni's for a long time :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.