Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently gutted my cat...I knew the second 02 would make check engine come on and i'll be running richer. I know the running richer is just a precautionary...
Question is...what would be the easiest way to resolve the code? I hear that putting a resistor between both 02's on the return wire would rid it? Any input anyone?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The easiest way would be to get an O2 sensor simulator, but I wouldn't drive around with a gutted cat.

Its not really going to help peformance, because you still have the 1.8" outlet, and its just going to pollute and smell bad.

Look into a carsound cat, www.ipsracing.com or PM SMSP on this board.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
StyleTEG on Aug/12/02 said:
The easiest way would be to get an O2 sensor simulator, but I wouldn't drive around with a gutted cat.

Its not really going to help peformance, because you still have the 1.8" outlet, and its just going to pollute and smell bad.

Look into a carsound cat, www.ipsracing.com or PM SMSP on this board.
not only does it not help your performance, but it HURTS your performance. a gutted cat will create exhaust turbulence and will hurt the exhaust flow. why don't people understand that? don't gut your cat. if you're going to do anything, get a test pipe. i don't really care for people who don't give a sh*t about the environment to go a little bit faster, but gutting out your cat is one of the stupidest things you can do to your car. if i were you, i'd call up dave at smsp and order myself a car sound cat. a high flow cat will give you only a few less hp than a test pipe... (yeah, i don't care what your state law says. just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont really care if you care for people who do this. I wouldent of, but I HAD to. My cat was so clogged my car was running like crap. My previous motor was burning ALOT of oil and it clogged my cat. Thats a whole different thread, but I posted this problem for a temporary solution. I dont plan on keepin it this way, but some people just dont have the cash to go out and purchase a hi-flow cat. All I wanted was a helpful response and I thank you for that StyleTEG

Back to the subject at hand...an 02 stimulator..how does that work? and where can I pick one up? Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
the O2 simulator will run you about $50. if i were you, i'd save up some more and get a cat. my previous post wasn't supposed to be a personal attack to you in anyway. i'm sure you had your reasons. on the other hand, there are people who do this thinking that it'll give them more power. they do it because they're ignorant and they don't care about the environment and other people that they share the air with.

just a side note: i said i didn't care for people who gut their cats or use test pipes. and it's "wouldn't have," not "wouldent of." english is a tricky language... lol just kidding.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you're not going to run rich w/o a cat... the second o2 sensor is just for the computer to check that the cat is there and working. i wouldn't mess with the first o2 sensor at all since that's what the computer uses to make all it's adjustments at part throttle. if it's a temporary thing until you get a cat, the CEL isn't going to hurt anything. i think there's an article that shows an o2 sensor simulator for cheaper, 25 or something, if the light's just terribly getting on your nerves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok here are my two cents on this gutted cat and the enviro crap:

Studies show that even though we might be driving a gazillion more cars than we did in the 70's, those cars from back then poured a lot more bad crap than them gazillion cars from recent years. ULEV? It would take like 50 tegs to equal the emissions of one chevy nova or a damn woodie. A lot of those cars are still around... so gut your cat, and then eat your dog.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
r1zen on Aug/12/02 said:
Back to the subject at hand...an 02 stimulator..how does that work? and where can I pick one up? Thanks
Since everyone has already covered the issue of blatantly polluting the environment and basic ethics, I'll leave it alone. You live in the same world with the rest of us and the pollution you create will affect the area closest to you first. So you die first. Good. Now, with that out of the way...

#1) Check out the articles. There's an entire article dedicated exclusively to the topic of O2 simulators.

#2) You can make your own. I've made two of them. Hell, I'll sell you one of the ones I made for $45, shipped, if you like. Hooking it up is your problem, and I don't warranty anything. You wire it up wrong and mess up your ECU, that's your problem. (As will all the other makers of this O2 simulator warn you ahead of time. Nobody warranties this modification.)

#3) If you care anything about your performance at all, get another catalytic convertor. What you've done is almost the same as having a clogged cat. You've created a low pressure area in a large chamber right after the header. The exhaust gasses have a chance to expand in there, where they'll want to stay, instead of smoothly making their way back out the other small opening at the end of the cat. With the catalytic mesh intact, it's almost like reducing the size of the chamber of the cat to match the tubing, and it keeps the exhaust gasses flowing in a regulated and linear fashion. (Read: it keeps exhaust flow smooth.)

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I agree...people seem to want to rehash the same things over and over lately.

I have no problems with an open header for a 2-24hr racing event at the track...I do have a problem with a testpipe/gutted cat in a daily driver idling in stop and go traffic day in and day out or in front of a store while you go and get whatever every day....that's just f**king wrong! especially when they've proven childhood asthma incidence has increased due to car and industrial air pollutants...just look at Los Angeles and the childhood asthma rates over the years...they've shot up and correlate with the air quality there. I mean sh_t, it's VISIBLE when you fly into LAX.

so you say: not in my backyard and I don't care? that's what the LA people said 10-15 years ago....Leave this place better when you eventually go than when you came...that's the respect the indigenous people gave to the land they live on...we should learn from that....

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Oh crap. I just noticed the date differences from MD's last post to Meccanikal's post. DOH! Disregard my post. I just post to things I see in the "most recent 12", and this was there.

Who the hell brings back a thread that's almost 10 months old?!?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is exactly what I Was thinking. This thread was with my previous car and before I knew anything about this topic...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Sorry, Keith. I owe you an apology, then. I didn't realise this thread was that old, seriously.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's fine, I'm not offended. I just wanted to clarify some things. No need for an apology, you take time to make things understandable... at least for me.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Jun/09/03 said:
is that a rhetorical question?
No. I'm just curious how old ass threads like this pop up after almost 10 months of inactivity. Who the hell digs these things up from 50 pages of old threads? I can understand somebody doing a new search on catalytic convertors looking for information, but come on, looking up an old thread just to make a comment?!

Anyways, this is going way off topic. I just feel bad that I got drawn into this whole mess. I should have known that this thread was older than dirt since I've read R1zen's more recent posts...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts