Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Notice that GT28 you linked to doesn't actually say "Garrett" anywhere on either housing. Looks like a knock off to me, and I'd assume that's why you're seeing a price difference.

Stop looking at eBay! Haha!

Honestly, I think you should go with a GT28RS .63 A/R from Synapse, with a T3 flange that uses an external wastegate. Quick spool, and it'll keep breathing.

You can buy it from a TI sponsor for even cheaper than that eBay listing, and you'll know that you'll be getting a real Garrett that was in good hands...

If you have the money, and don't mind a little lag, go all out and get the GT3076R.

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
Need to know the power goals first...if it's under 300, there's no need for a gt3076...

Stay away from the 18g....that turbo is too small for anything over 240-250.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
3076 will be a bit big for ur motor unless u like to spool way late. 18g like justin said small and well its an 18g wer not dsms.

t3/to4 or t3/t4. the 28rs would do 300 pretty well i talk to a few guys but its pretty expensive

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
94VTEC2ToNE on Dec/09/07 said:
3076 will be a bit big for ur motor unless u like to spool way late.

The spool is not late....I have that turbo and I am at full boost at 3800 RPM...granted I am at 2.0 liters but still....the spool will not be late...just a bit longer than the disco potato....spool time has more factors involved than just the turbo.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'd say if your thinking immediate goals and are aiming in the 300whp range then the gt28rs is the way to go. Good for a quick daily driver, quick spool, nice response, can use an internally gated set-up for emissions or to be stealth or external if you want to go that route.

If you want to plan ahead for the future and want some room to grow because we all know boost is addicting or you want drag your car and are looking for low 1/4 times then something bigger would be advisable, little later spool but much higher max hp efficiency. gt3071r or gt3076r

If money is a factor and want middle of the road between quick spool over the gt30 and higher max efficiency over the gt28 then you could always look at a t3/t4 hybrid but the Garrett gt series is a better so it's all up to you...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
TDARK1582 on Dec/09/07 said:
i was looking on ebay and found a couple of turbos but i wanted 2 know what is the difference between the gt28 & gt28rs besides $500. i was also looking at a 18g but wasn't sure cause there all have internal wastegates and is that ok for my turbo setup

here three turbos
18g
gt28
gt28rs
How much are you looking to spend on the turbo?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for the whole setup no more than $2000 so i guess i can spend a $1000. i ahve a lot of other stuff 2 buy so the turb o set up will be my whole tax return but i am upgrading the suspension, lsd, interior, and the body work will cost me a $1000 so to restore this car will cost me about $5000. I know boost is additive but this is my daily driver and so 250whp is enough cause i had 2 scrap my supercharger project cause of funds and time. i want to be boosted by the spring and my supercharger project will take me about a year or more and i am trying 2 get 340whp out of a jackson so i have my work cut out 4 me. The reason i said a 18g casuse thats what's in the greddy turbo kit

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Dang... If you're only wanting to spend $2000 on the whole turbo setup, you better stop looking at new turbos, and head to the junkyard. That's just not enough to buy a new reliable setup.

Even if you manage to buy all the parts you need, you still have to have a good tune...

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
TDARK1582 on Dec/09/07 said:
i just mean $2000 in partscome on now i am not crazy and i have some things already casue i was going turbo 2 years ago
Well which parts do you have? Because 2k is still super low.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If your looking to spend less than a grand on the turbo, I would advise against a ball bearing turbo. Most of the ones that are sized correctly for your motor and power goal are going to be more than what you want to spend on your budget. A journal bearing turbo is probably going to be your best bet.

For a 1.7L gsr I would go with the T3/TO4E 57 trim.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JustinKlemgold on Dec/09/07 said:
Quote: TDARK1582 on Dec/09/07i just mean $2000 in partscome on now i am not crazy and i have some things already casue i was going turbo 2 years ago

Well which parts do you have? Because 2k is still super low.

intercooler. wastegate, oil lines, boost controller,downpipe, bov, guageshow much more do i need besides a manifold and piping

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
So you have:

-intercooler
-wastegate
-oil lines
-boost controller
-downpipe
-bov
-gauges

Which means you don't have:

-turbo
-charge piping
-turbo timer
-manifold
-injectors and maybe a resistor box
-high flow fuel pump
-chipped ECU
-a crap ton of vacuum hose
-a crap ton of either hose clamps or zip ties for clamping down the crap ton of vacuum hose
-oil inlet and outlet flanges
-a proper flow restrictor (if needed)
-oil fittings for the block
-oil pan drill/tap for the return, or just an aftermarket oil pan
-adjustable FPR (if you want to control fuel pressure)
-replace all fluids, filters, rotor, cap, plugs, wires (basic tune up)
-maybe a half length radiator or slim fan
-maybe a battery relocation
-high flow cat
-exhaust
-catch can of some sort
-emergency fund WHEN something goes wrong

...but most importantly,

-TUNE

You're going to spend plenty of cash, trust me. At first, it didn't seem like it was going to be too spendy, but in the end, I was screaming, "HOLY CRAP! Where did my money go?!?"

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thats not really a good example. The two of you are buidling two totally different motors. A b18c is going to hit 300hp a lot easier than an ls motor.

Do not misunderstand me though, I still think that two thousand is not nearly enough money for a realistic budget.

Kasey: you also forgot about the emergency fund that is required when something goes wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts