Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
if you want handling the biggest you should get is 16's. 17+ is for looks in my opinion. cheap? well the design is one i have seen numerous other companies imitate. if you think the price is right then get it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my friend said the same thing 16" will be cheaper, better, ligher, give more clearance and handle better. i just have not seen any 16 inmy price range, especially 4 lug.

·
Registered
713 Posts
it depends on what you're going for... if you're going drag then go 16' or even 15's (maybe even smaller). If you're going auto-X go with 17's... you'll be able to lay down more rubber and you can put much bigger brakes under 17's

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
xendar, well most 17's are not very light except for volks and racing harts, which are expensive as F***. but if money wasn't an issue i would get some lightweight 17's. i read somewhere that stated 15 or 16 are better for short course and 17's for longer courses.

·
Registered
713 Posts
maybe that's true, but in my experience with the SCCA, the smaller size wheels don't make up for the lack of rubber and smaller brakes you'll have... that's just my opinion

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
How do bigger wheels get more rubber down? A 205 series tire on a 15x7 wheel has the same contact patch as on a 17x7 wheel.

The only reason to get larger diameter wheels for performance is to fit bigger brakes, otherwise there's no performance gains from a larger wheel.

·
Registered
713 Posts
honostly, I did not know they made 15x7's. do they make 15x8's? But still, in light of this new information I would still say the size of the bigger brakes would be worht it

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
surferx, using 17's you would have shorter sidewall. my question is would this translate into a quicker response when turning? or is it not a significant difference?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I don't think smaller sidewalls are very ideal for racing. The RealTime Touring Championship Type R's have always run tires with a 4" sidewall, pretty equal to the standard 195/55 R15 tires. The Realtime ITR's used to run 15x7 Volk TE37 wheels until regulations changed so now they run 17x7.5 SSR Competitions with 225/45 R17 tires. The sidewall on the 225/45's is 4" tall like stock as well. They put 12" slotted rotors with big ass Brembo 4-piston calipers under there. They could fit bigger rotors but I think regulations don't allow them any bigger. The Type R's had to be a little handicapped because they were dominating everybody heh heh.

You get quicker turning response by using the correct size tire on a wheel and not trying to squeeze on a tire with an overly wide tread for the wheel you are trying to install it on. 205 or 215 series tires on 7" wide wheels is good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have edited pics from tiretrack.com. check them out. which do you like best?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
the bottom one's are better. same as the realtime itr's. just my opinion.

225/45's? whoa, that's pretty big. how did this affect gearing and acceleration?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It does artificially raise the final drive ratio with a larger tire diameter like that. But they were allowed to use a shorter 4.760 final drive to compensate for it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i like the bottom wheels also, they are also more expensive! but the top wheels would prob look nicer with a full kit. the bottom wheels look nice when the body is left stock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't know if this applys to real cars, but on my 1-10 radio controled car, i tried to use a lower profile tire, and i was all over the place on the track, i used a tire with a bit of sidewall and soft foams in rear and a bit stiffer foams in front, and it gave me a sticky cushiony feel, it was a little less responsive, but more controlable and easier to handle, so i got around the track alot quicker. keep in mind the rc is 4wd.

·
Registered
777 Posts
LOL planing what to do based on RC's I never thought of that would happen. I would go with 15x7 unless you really want big brakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts