Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding on which engine I want to put in my car when I get the money. I found a type-r engine swap w/ tranny and ecu for $5,500 and I found a gsr swap for $4,300. Whice engine do you guys think is more bang for the buck? I'm leaning towards the gsr swap because i'm a high school student working w/ money saved for part time jobs. What do you think? btw I drive a 99 ls 5 speed if that helps any. Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
25,239 Posts
For the 4 grand that it takes to swap and get the difference of 28 HP, you could EASILY make your current engine faster than a GSR or TypeR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
i would go with the gsr-- more modding can be done later because of the lower compression-- it all depends on what you want-- are you going to autox-- then go with the type R and S/c later---
are you going to drag-- go gsr-turbo...
just a street demon and show car--- whatever you like
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
95gsrturbo on Sep/20/02 said:
i would go with the gsr-- more modding can be done later because of the lower compression-- it all depends on what you want-- are you going to autox-- then go with the type R and S/c later---
are you going to drag-- go gsr-turbo...
just a street demon and show car--- whatever you like
"type R and S/c" I don't think that's the best combination considering he wants the bang for his buck.

If he wanted to go N/A, type-R would be the obvious choice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
what do you mean not the best bang for the buck-- adding an S/C would increase hp and torque through out the power band and wound be the best mod considering the money-- you could spend thousands on other stuff or buy an Sc and be done with it-- the itr already has a great 421 header and the snorkel intake is great too the only thing he would HAVE to get would be a better flowing exhaust although aftermarket header and intake would help too--
i think you were trying to tell me that thats too much money but that is all relevant -- when you say best bang for buck to me it means best performance for best price---
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
95gsrturbo on Sep/20/02 said:
what do you mean not the best bang for the buck-- adding an S/C would increase hp and torque through out the power band and wound be the best mod considering the money-- you could spend thousands on other stuff or buy an Sc and be done with it-- the itr already has a great 421 header and the snorkel intake is great too the only thing he would HAVE to get would be a better flowing exhaust although aftermarket header and intake would help too--
i think you were trying to tell me that thats too much money but that is all relevant -- when you say best bang for buck to me it means best performance for best price---
Read the F/I articles!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,083 Posts
Or you could spend $4-5k on your current engine and add a large turbo, engine internals, 2.5-3" exhaust system, etc and be much faster than either. VTEC isn't everything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Louse76 on Sep/20/02 said:
Or you could spend $4-5k on your current engine and add a large turbo, engine internals, 2.5-3" exhaust system, etc and be much faster than either. VTEC isn't everything!
Yes, with 4-5K's i'd stick with b18b1 going F/I. But instead of blowing it all on the engine, get some stiffening stuff like rear lower tie bar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
what do you wanna do with it... the h22 isnt a bad swap if you just wanna go fast... otherwise looking at the prices for only 1000 go with the type r if you arent gonna go turbo if you wanna do turbo or SC do the gsr it has better gearing and lower compression. also for price differance if you gonna do turbo or SC for about $1000 you could get a nice diff installed and have a better dif than the dif in the type r... still h22 is a swap that you can do... if you only want to go fast and not autocross it... it still turns more than fine for street use and is actually barley noticed if your suspension is properly done and the h22 will cost less than the b18c1 and create gobs more power... in fact with the money you save you can build it a little or go nitrous... just a reccomendation i know someone with the swap in a 6g civic and an integra and someone that will soon be doing it in a del sol if he dosnt decide to build and turbo his del sol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,083 Posts
Integra_arucA on Sep/21/02 said:
Quote: Louse76 on Sep/20/02
Or you could spend $4-5k on your current engine and add a large turbo, engine internals, 2.5-3" exhaust system, etc and be much faster than either. VTEC isn't everything!



Yes, with 4-5K's i'd stick with b18b1 going F/I. But instead of blowing it all on the engine, get some stiffening stuff like rear lower tie bar!
Right. If I had that much and a stock car, it would be just SILLY to put it all into the engine bay without stiffening up the suspension.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top