Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm getting real close now to finding another engine (at least i think i am) My choices are down to a b18c1 or b18c5. I dont know which to get. The gsr is quite a bit cheaper, about 1800, but am i better off spending the extra to get the extra 20 or so horses? I was thining h22 for a while becasue thats about 900 cheaper than the gsr and put out more horses yet i figured to do the conversion it would cost just as much if not more than the gsr and than i might as well have gotten the type r.

I was told that type r are best for NA set ups, is that true? Am i better off getting a gsr and building it up or am i better off getting the type r and building that up. In the long run i'm leaning towards forced induction, mainly turbo but if i'm better off with na than i'd do that. I'm really confused and can use some guidence as to the potentail of each motor. I know one comes stock with more power but is it worth it for the money in the long run. Thanks for the help and info.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure about the potential of these engines, but I look at it this way, as long as your not sacraficing quality, the money you save here is money that could be put into something somewhere else. But I dunno how much cheeper the GSR than the R it is. If its like $1000, then I would say the GSR, thats a thousand your closer to the turbo.

·
Registered
577 Posts
it all depends on what you want. get the type r engine if you enjoy the perks of having a rare engine that much. If not, get the more affordable GSR engine. Also depends on exactly what your budget is after you buy either engine. If your floating in money and your gonna build an all motor beast, get the type r, duh. If your not rolling in money, and you plan to upgrade moderately, still get the C5. heheh, thats just what i would do. with money, everything is possible, right? so i guess you could also argue that you can always get the gsr engine and bore it out, turbo it, have a static CR of like 8.0:1. Since thats not very realistic for most of us, i say get the B18C5.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'd say go for the gsr and this way you'll save 1/2 the money towards force induction (turbo) which you probably wanted. I doubt you want to go N/A all the way b/c it's a long process and can get pretty expensive but it's all up to you. The h22 is a nice engine but i think i read somewhere that you'll have to take out the AC and that would suck during those hot days. Well whatever you decide, goodluck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the engines come with everything needed to do the swap, ecu trany, linkage cables, even the axels. I got a 91 rs, would a type r fit the car, and by fit i mean the image of the car, i know it will fit in the engine bay, but do you think it would be kinda weird i guess to have a type r in a g2 teg? i dunno i'm just thinking out loud again.

In the long run i would like to stay away from borring out the engine but i wouldnt mind upgrading the internals to meet the needs of FI. I would also like to equip the engine with a turbo prehaps boosting 15 lbs with aspirations of going as high as maybe 20 lbs. Also i plan on installing nitrous and running a shoot anywhere from 50 to 75. I know that this would require alot of internal fortification on either engine yet which one do you think would be better suited for handling those types of FI mods after all the neccasry work is done. Would it be a waste to do those things to a type r? would i be better off with the gsr if i wanted to do those?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
what are your goals hp-wise, and seriously consider reliability of turbo vs long life of engine not. Unless you spend a lot, expect to rebuild at least once with fi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts