Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here, i have a 00' 4 door gsr with a HMO motor and lsd trans. I got into a pretty bad accident with it but i'm on a mission to bring it back to life with a jdm front end.

first off i live in hawaii there is not a lot of shells or integras in general so i'm trying to save mine rather than going out and buying another car.

this is the car the day of the accident

this is the damage i have to deal with

this is after i drill out the shock tower
as you can see my trans also has a gaint hole where the torque mount should be.

the process off pulling the layers out and re shaping them back to where they should be.
the passenger door was hiting the hinge when i closed it after pulling and straightening the door now closes smoothly.

after i fixed the fire wall damage.

the new shock tower i took off a donner car.

matching up the new peice to the car.
i did need to pull out the rail on the drivers side as it got pulled in during the accident by about 1".

i'm hoping this isn't a total waist of time n i am actually able to put it back together. one thing i am struggling with is the shock tower i took of fb the donner car was a 95 which had a airbag sensor right along the fire wall. my 00' dosnt seem too have one in that spot so i'm wondering where is it n does it need to be replaced.
also when i bolt the new shock tower to the subframe there seems to be maybe a 1/2 gap maybe less on the lower rail on the fire wall i'm trying to figure out do i just fill the gap or weld it flush then try to make another pull pulling it straight. if i make it flush the rail is pointing just a little in towards the motor. either the rails are just slightly diffrent or the fire wall got pushed in just a little.
lmk if you guys think i'm waisting my time again there isn't a lot of integras or parts here to chose from do my options are limited.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
that looks like a pretty hard hit, i dont think you're necessarily wasting your time, you got a lot of the grunt work out of the way already to see what you have to work with. i was really worried from looking at that damage at first, but you seem to have a lot squared away already just with that upper "frame" rail. I believe acura still makes those pieces too, at least they did when i was looking at buying one for my teg. How will you tell if the pieces you put back in are squared up and aligned as they should be? thats the crucial part id be worried about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks like a pretty hard hit, i dont think you're necessarily wasting your time, you got a lot of the grunt work out of the way already to see what you have to work with. i was really worried from looking at that damage at first, but you seem to have a lot squared away already just with that upper "frame" rail. I believe acura still makes those pieces too, at least they did when i was looking at buying one for my teg. How will you tell if the pieces you put back in are squared up and aligned as they should be? thats the crucial part id be worried about.
the passenger door was not closing properly when i started, but with a couple pulls of the inner metal near the hindges it now closes perfectly and smoothly. and the door body lines are back to looking as they should.
my plan to make sure everything is lined up correct is by using a tram gauge i made my self. before i took the other frame rail off the donner car i took a hand full of measurements from point to point.
then i'm hoping when i put on the bumper support everythjng lines up nicley if it should be a little bit off then i'll just have to pull it again. also i think by puting on a upper strut bar will also help to make sure it's where it should be and also just add some extra support.
i just hope i don't get all the way to purchasing the jdm front end n shipping it from cali and when i start to bolt up the fenders n hood they have a hard time going on.
also that air bag sensor that was on the 94 but not on my 99.
i don't wanna buy new airbags and a modular and there is a sensor that's smashed and it blows out the airbags as soon as i hook up the battery, not sure if it works like that but seems possible. anyone know an anything about the airbags?

·
Registered
1999 LS Integra DC4 B18b1-S4XA
9 Posts
I dont know much about metal working but it looks like you already got a lot done. I'm sure its savable. Its cool to see someone actually repair one of these things instead of junking it for once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s gonna take a lot of work but hey man good luck with it, I’d love to see this thing when it’s finished

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
27 Posts
You are correct in that the airbag may deploy if you don't fix sensors first. You should replace any airbag sensor that got damaged and the airbag module before putting in new air bags. Also, keep the battery unplugged for a day before starting any of airbag situation. I've added some attachments. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LS Integra DC4 B18b1-S4XA
9 Posts
You are correct in that the airbag may deploy if you don't fix sensors first. You should replace any airbag sensor that got damaged and the airbag module before putting in new air bags. Also, keep the battery unplugged for a day before starting any of airbag situation. I've added some attachments. Good luck!
Even though i dont need to use these, these are pretty neat diagrams for later use. Thanks for posting these. Do these diagrams come in the owners manual?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though i dont need to use these, these are pretty neat diagrams for later use. Thanks for posting these. Do these diagrams come in the owners manual?
thanks for the info!
the car i took the frame rail from had a sensor right at the bend going bellow the fire wall, when i took off my frame rail from my car there was no sensor. Nor is there any wires in that area for a sensor. Im not sure what year the donor car is but my car is a 2000.
Any idea why one car has a sensor and the other dosnt?
I just bought another donor car (is a 95 with sun roof but cloth interior) does that make it a GS? The steering wheel air bag does not match up with the plug from my car.
Does anyone on the west coast have a GSR transmission they want to sell? Really i just need the outer case, my case cracked off at the torque mount. All my internals are still good i just need a case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just and update

installed the new sub frame, cause i think the one that was in the collision was slightly bent.

as u can see the fire wall was pushed in about 1/2" where the rail is siting in this pic is where it should meet flush with the firewall.

removed the fan blower from under the dash so i could access the back of th e fire wall so i am able to weld and also hammer and push the fire wall back into place.

everything lines up pretty well looking from the out side and with a laser level i am able to take measurements from my parts car to see just how high the rail should be siting, i have the level on the roof of the car and put a tape measure on the top of the shock tower and take my measurements from there.

surprisingly when i bolted the frame rail to the sub frame it was at the perfect height so everything should be going back in the same place it was according to my measurements.

my tram gauge shows the new frame rail is right where it need to be as far as angle wize but the trans mount dosnt line up.
so i took a measurement on the driver side and sure enough looks like that rail will need to be pulled out just a few centimeters.

i was loosing faith in this recently but now with the new sub frame i am back in the midset that i will be able to salvage it.
still need to find me another GSR transmission, if it comes down to it i'll have to order one from HMO.
also still waiting on the funds to buy the JDM front end.
that will really be the moment of truth when i go to boot up the fender and the hood. any way thanks for keeping this positive guys trust me i know this car was completely f** but like i previously said integras are not easy so come by around here especially sedans and when you do find one for sale a stock ls with 200k on the motor and faded paint n missing hubcaps is going for 3k. after i'm done fixing this car with the jdm front end i will easily be able to get 7k for it no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am very impressed with this save, takes a lot of dedication and know-how. keep up the good work!
thanks i appreciate it, it's encouraging to hear that it helps me not too loose faith.
question off topic of the body, since i will be needing to replace my transmission case, i am wondering if i should go ahead and buy a ls 5th gear too get a little better gas millage as this car is a dd n drives about 50miles a day. is changing out the 5th gear a difficult task. i am not firmiliar with the internals of a honda trans. will i be able to just slide the case off n put the new one on without having to tear down the trans.
anyone think i should put a new clutch in too while i'm at it?

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
How many miles are on the clutch you have? Were you having any issues with it before? If there is a good bit of miles on the clutch, it definitely wouldnt hurt to replace it while its torn apart. I've never done the LS 5th, but i've seen several videos on youtube that show you how its done. I want to say Honda Street Garage did one, and i think Youngstatic did too. I believe both were pretty detailed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts