Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, 96 gsr 60K on the motor, 76 on everything else. so im goin up the highway with my buddy behind me. i get on it a little bit leavin a gas station. after messin around for a few minutes i quit.

about 15 min later while goin up a hill i see the check engine light come on. it just flashed at first...then it came steady on. so as im goin up this hill i notice my car is startin to sound more and more like a wrx(best way i can describe the sound) so i pull over and my friend tells me that i got black smoke comin out the tail pipe, not a lot just enough to notice. so i pull over with the car runnin and the whole thing is shaking. i pop the hood and hte motor is jumpin all over. it sounds like it was runnin on 3 cyl. almost.

so i turned it off and ran a check. it said misfire on 1 and 3. so me and my buddy went to get some parts(just basic stuff i could think to be wrong) i got new plugs and wires first. reset the ecu and it still was doin the exact same thing. so i started it up and limped it home. when i get in the drive way the check engine light came on again(after i reset the ecu) it changed its mind to a misfire on 3 and 4 now. so we turn it off undo the wires and the plugs to check them. they look fine.

now when i start it up i smell gas pretty bad. and when i was tryin to start it, it would sputter real low like it was flooded and then start, still soundin like a wrx. so next we replace the entire dist. assembly with the one from my old motor cuz i had it layin around. nothin happens. it doesnt even make the correct startin noise( you know the honda ep ep kinda sound) it jsut wined.

so we removed the plugs and wires again to see if we were gettin any spark...nothing. no spark. we could smell gas tho. so we put the old dist. back on and now we are gettin spark, but the startin is now still makin the winin noise like its just spinning. after havin more of my friends try to help me we just gave up and now its at a shop down the road. im completely loss for ideas. any input as to what i may be lookin at? i know there are a lot of variables so i tried to be as specific as possible.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the wrx sound it typical with hondas with larger than stock injectors, and the black smoke is from running very rich. sounds like your getting too much feul to me

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm i have stock injectors, i mean if the car had ITB's or if it was awd and turboed i wouldnt mind if it sounded like that....

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it's not your injectors. your distributor rotor is fried.

the 2 other "sounds" people on the beginner boards never get: LMA's missing or worn, distributor failure, detonation, bearing failure, injector O-rings.

they always parrot back the injectors and valve lash answer on the other places.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I say Ecu could be f**ked

I had a problem with a civic not starting etc.. no spark... i checked everything finally it was ECU...

but i could be wrong...!

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok just a little update..its at the shop and they are puzzled as well. they said there is spark, the pistons are turning 1000 miles an hour, there is oil everywhere there is supposed to be, plugs and wires are fine, there is NO COMPRESSIoN whatsoever but everything looks fine? a motor with 60K on it doesnt just lose compression all of the sudden does it? a week prior to this incident i did a compression check and i got damn near 225 the whole way across.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
have you done a leakdown?

if you lose a valve or seal, you can lose compression.

doesn't explain your misfires changing cylinders even though the wires are fine though. that's why I think it's the distributor/cap. the no compression thing may be a secondary result of the original problem.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, i hope the shop will do one tho since in their hands now.

ah i see what you mean by a secondary problem. it may be a seal becuase he said they pulled the head off and inspected the valves.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
There was no need to pull the head yet, if they hadn't done a leak down. I would think it's either the entire distributor, but since you changed it out maybe not, or the rotor inside the distributor cap. Sometimes the answers right in front of your face and you cant see it because you're looking to hard. If it's getting spark, but you still smell gas and you have no compression, one of your valves has to be stuck/bent/broken or one of the seals is gone.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
wow sounds real bad. that puttering sound that sounded like a wrx happened to me before. but yours sounds like its a lot worse. hope everything goes well and you get your gsr back and running

·
Registered
680 Posts
yes, ive had the same problem with a previous vehicle i owned
PoipleCoupe on Apr/05/04 said:
I say Ecu could be f**ked

I had a problem with a civic not starting etc.. no spark... i checked everything finally it was ECU...

but i could be wrong...!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
well since the motor is different, where did new one come from. Some where well know or good friend. Unless you knew the motor well, you may have no clue to what condition it was in when you got it. what of the old parts were changed as far as seals and gaskets go?

Since I haven't personally seen the motor my self I would say the problem lies with the head gasket. Misfires can be related with head. After checking the ignition also check the timing. Please check your spark plugs and tell us what the look like; color, smell and fluids that might be on there. Spark plugs can tell us a lot. Check for any possible loss of oil or coolant.

If that fails piston rings may have gone. Although wouldn't explain a total loss of compression, there would still be some compression. But once again, that would have no justifacation why there is a misfire.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the shop where its at now did the install for me, i would ASSUME all the timings where set but i couldnt tell you for sure.

as for the motor, i bought it off a memeber on here. the guy said he never had a problem for the time he had it, and i believe him becuase of the good comp. numbers it gave...i did fail to do a leak down test on it though. as far as new stuff replaced just basic things like the dist, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, misc. gaskets but no head gasket or anything like that becuase there were no signs of a failin head gasket. ive had this motor in my car since december and have had absolutely no problems with it until now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey I had almost the same thing happen to me, minus the smoke and wrx noise, my car just completely died... It was just after a compression test too! The mechanic said if you don't do it right honda's really dont like compression tests cuz there spark system is set up in a very specific way, not grounding it could result it what happend to me - a ignition coil getting FRIED! Also I replaced the ignition module, just FYI if you wanna try this...will run you about 100-150 depending on where you get it. Install is a snap (literally) don't let mechanics tell you its difficult, just make sure if you DIY to plug in everything JUST AS it came out of the distributor, that could really mess polarity or something up... Well good luck...just me 2 cents. Try it - its something that might eventually go anyway, at least thats how I looked at it.
-Matt

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, update...i called again this morning...he says the only thing they can find wrong is the timing belt tensioner is loose and they are goin to replace it and hopefully that will fix the problem. if my car's timing jumped and got really out of whack, would this cause my car to do what its doing?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
danteisme on Apr/08/04 said:
ok, update...i called again this morning...he says the only thing they can find wrong is the timing belt tensioner is loose and they are goin to replace it and hopefully that will fix the problem. if my car's timing jumped and got really out of whack, would this cause my car to do what its doing?
It may, it may not. That may explain why you were getting misfire CEL codes. But still where did your compression go?

Compression = Gaskets+Rings+Pistons+Block+valves

·
Registered
448 Posts
is your intake not tightly on the TB, maybe hangin off just a little bit.

Same symptoms happened on my friends car. We thought the timming jumped, but we looked around and move the intake pipe around and it fell right off the TB, not enough air was going in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my car. I was having a slow coolant leak and the shop that I took it to misdiagnosed it as a bad temp sensor/water pump. Next thing, I'm driving down the highway and my temp guage starts going up real fast and the check engine light comes on and starts blinking.As soon as I pull over to the side the car shuts off. I pop the hood and the radiator's
bone dry. The overflow bottle got so hot that it got very soft. My car's been burning oil and spewing black smoke every since. It also is very hard to start and sounds almost like a diesel. This is an 85,000 mile factory GSR motor that's doing that. Could I have fried a valve?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts