Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently decided it was time for him to give up driving, so lucky me he's passing his 1999 Integra GRS my way! :vtec228: Weeee! Anyways, here is what I know about the car:

1999 Integra GSR. One owner, manual trans, leather seats, red, spoiler, moon roof, garage kept, immaculate maintenance, interior spotless and all records available. Had an exhaust leak a year or two ago, but was taken in and repaired proffessionally when the problem was first discovered. One small "fender bender" accident that required a quarter panel replacement, also done proffesionally. Milage is right around 48k. My dad is pretty conservative, so I'm 100% certain the car has been babied its entire life and never been abused. Use has probably been extremely light the last couple of years, maybe 1k at most per year.

Some questions... What maintenance or service items should I have checked? Obviously an oil change (that it probably does not need) and check tire condition / rotate them. What else should I be looking at? What kind of oil is recommended?

Plans for the car are to be a daily driver doing a 50 mile and back trip 2 or 3 times a week for work. Hoping it will give me some good years of service. My other car is a 2016 Rubicon, and I will be happy to have it relegated to weekend / leasure use only.

Thanks guys! Great forum you have here and I was quite happy to find it!

Funny story about this GSR... My father bought the car new in 1999 about the same time I purchased a 1994 Camaro. The Camaro had about 45k miles on it when I purchased it. We would often debate about the pros and cons of Camaros vs Integras whenever I would visit him and the two cars sat next to each other in his driveway. The Camaro now has roughly 380k miles on it and has had just about everything relaced on it including a rebuilt Jasper motor at about 150k miles. The Camaro is also now sitting in my driveway dead and most likely beyond repair with serious electrical problems. Cest la Vie, the state of Maryland frowns on Viking funerals, so its probably headed for a junkyard. I guess in the end dad won that debate...

·
Registered
131 Posts
congrats on the car I hope you take good care of it! do you live in an area where it snows? if there are no oil leaks I would recommend running synthetic. if it were my car I would change all the fluids, filters,. I think spark plugs should be fine along with distributor cap and rotor. has the timing belt waterpump been changed? a lot of threads here on maintenance.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Welcome to Team-Integra! :cool: What part of Maryland do you live in? I enjoyed growing up in Montgomery County.

There are some awesome, handy and helpful Team-Integra members who live in Maryland and Northern Virginia.

A low mileage '99 GS-R is quite a cool hand-me-down car and I am sure that you will have a whole lot of fun with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im on the eastern shore of MD on the Sh*thouse side of Maryland as they sometimes say... *LOL*

Picked the car up yesterday and it is now happily sitting next to my dead Camaro. Found that it had a few more scratches and quirks than I originally thought, but nothing a little manual labor can't fix. Deffinately needs a good bath. A few observations and questions from my first 70 miles or so driving the car...

This car has the most forgiving shifter I have ever driven. It just seemed to be fine with any gear I cared to select, which felt wierd compared to my Jeep and Camaro, which would complain if it was shifted a little out of range. I keep reading about this VTEC business giving the car a kick at certain speeds / gear selections. I never felt anything like that on the ride home, but I didnt push it hard as I wanted to get a feel for the car first. I did hammer down a little a couple of times, but nothing ever happened. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Handling overall feels pretty awesome, very similiar to my Camaro, I just pointed the car and it went where I wanted it to!

Noted that there is one new tire and 3 orginals still with some tread left on them! Not so sure I want to trust my new ride to 18 year old skins, this will probably be my first large investment. Any good suggestions on sources for tires? I dont plan on doing any racing in it, so some good long lasting low cost rubber would be my preference.

The speedo is reading about 10 mph low at speed. Drove my wife nutz following me as I kept the speed down through some construction areas with speed cameras. Cars were passinig me left and right, but I chalked that up to people being in a hurry and not paying attention. Can this be adjusted anywhere or am i looking at a new speedo if I want to know how fast I am actually going? Going to load up my GPS and get some more accurate readings, but Im certain its on the low side. Would this effect the milage that is showing on the car? Im thinking with the speedo showing high the milage is either not calculated off the speedo and is accurate or low compared to actual if it is reading off the speedo.

The car came with locking lugs, but two are missing. Guess Im buying a new set if I want them all to match. Was this something that came with the car stock? The wheels have some scuffs on them which will need attention.

Two headlights look new while two have that kinda funky haze to them. Any good sources for headlights that at least look stock? Thinking NAPA headlights would probably be a little different and more generic looking.

Other than all this, there are a few scratches in the paint here and there. Thinking they will probably buff out or at least thats the hope. I still have my jeep to customize, so not looking to put too much into this car.

I will post some pics when i get a chance...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also check out all the bushing... trailing arm bushings go bad on honda's weather its garage kept or not. I would also put fresh tires on it if they haven't been changed in years, just because they don't look dry rot doesn't mean the rubber hasn't got slick, hard and dangerous. Vtec doesn't kick in until around 4400 rpm and the GSR intake manifold has secondary butterflies that open at 6k you should hear/feel but you may not with a stock car. Grats on the GSR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp, here I am 2 years later and Im still driving this amazing car... Its now got 67k on it (about 10k / year, maybe a hair less). I went with new tires and about a year after I got it the muffler had to be replaced, but other than those two relatively cheep fixes, my Integra is running great. It draws attention wherever it goes and is a real joy to drive. I picked up a third place trophy at Honda Day last summer and another trophy at a small show in my area. The biggest kick though is talking to people who appreciate these cars. I can't count the number of smiles and thumbs up she's gotten at the gas pump not to mention the people who will stop you and ask about it. My dad warned me about that and he was right!

At any rate... A new question came up and I thought I would ask here. I've been a little afraid to take it anywhere it could possibly be stolen as I hear these are common targets for thieves and are not very secure. I have a good set of locking lugs on it, but am thinking more about the whole car getting stolen or broken into. What kind of alarms are good for these cars? I definately want something that disables it so that it cant be easily driven away and possibly some kind of audible alarm. What kinds are there? How much do they run? How easy are they to install or would it be smart to have it proffesionally done? Im not very handy with tools, so it will probably have it done by some friends at thier auto shop...

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Winslow57

1 - 9 of 9 Posts