Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping the engine from a 94' GSR with a rotted shell into a solid, 98' shell. I'm about ready to pull the engine this weekend, but I was wondering if there's any sort of maintenance or anything I should to to refresh it while it's all out of the car and easily accessible. For context it had the clutch replaced recently so I'm not worried about that but it's been sitting since about 2013 so I expect I'll have to clean some stuff up. Tearing through it so far I've noticed some minor dry rot in a few places and I'll consequently be replacing the axles, since that's one of the places with notable dry rot. With this in mind, is there anything else specifically I should be worried about? I would like to make the car as reliable as possible since I'll probably be daily-ing it once it's finished.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Timing belt & water pump would be the two crucial things that should be replaced, if they haven't been already.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
In addition to the timing belt and water pump, i would take a close look at the other seals and gaskets and see if anything on the motor appears to be leaking or starting to leak and get those replaced. Also, either before or after you complete the swap, take a close look at coolant and vacuum lines to see if any are starting to get brittle or anything like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both good suggestions, thank you!
In addition to the timing belt and water pump, i would take a close look at the other seals and gaskets and see if anything on the motor appears to be leaking or starting to leak and get those replaced. Also, either before or after you complete the swap, take a close look at coolant and vacuum lines to see if any are starting to get brittle or anything like that.
I had looked into getting a total reseal kit for the GSR but I couldn't find the right sort of thing online. I have noticed some oil clinging to the bottom of the engine which to me seems like a leak but it's not enough to drip at all and I can't trace it back to any specific source. Might have more luck with that once it's out of the car. So far from my inspections most of the coolant and vacuum lines have been in good shape, but I'm definitely going to take an aerospace approach to reviewing them all.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
A total reseal kit wouldnt hurt, but i would focus on the really hard to get items when the motor is out of the car and address the other ones later. Like the rear main, main seal and oil pump gasket, maybe the seals around the breather box and pcv system, even the axle seals and the oil pan gasket will be easier with the motor out. There are probably some other ones i'm forgetting. Speaking from experience, you can change out these seals with the motor in the car, but it is a heck of a lot easier without the car around the motor to do so lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with all of the above. But I'll add all heater hoses. Especially the ones connecting to the heater control valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts