Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i saved up enough $ for the greddy turbo kit for my 97 ls but i just picked up this month's turbo mag. and in it i found a dyno for the greddy turbo on a ls. It dynoed at 164.6hp and 160.4 lb-ft of torque at 7 psi non intercooled those are some weakass numbers. Any of u have dynos for the t3/t4 hybrid on an 94+ ls? or know where i can find one?

·
Registered
455 Posts
ive heard that greddy uses too small of a trubo to make any real power, i think its a mitsubishi turbo but not sure , iam thinking about going with a drag III kit it comes with a t3/t4 turbo a intercooler and a whole bunch of goodies, heard it makes a about 200whp on a b18b at 8psi

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Oy,a magazine huh? Ati2ude has a greddy turbo and he's putting 235 at the wheels and around 270 at the crank at about 10 PSI. Not too shabby for a turbo that "doesn't make any power." IT'S ALL ABOUT TUNING...Talk to some people that have greddy turbo, I believe they are very happy with them.

And BTW, a smaller turbo means less 'turbo lag' because it spools up quicker which can result in faster 1/4 mile times.

I know you don't want to hear this, but have you checked out the articles on turbo on this site? Very informative, and you could benefit from reading them so check'em out

·
Registered
693 Posts
The GReddy turbo is a quite nice kit ! Don't let those mild numbers fool you. Yes the T3-T4 is going to see better numbers ! But then again its all how you TUNE the car !

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
BoostControl on Aug/23/02 said:
The GReddy turbo is a quite nice kit ! Don't let those mild numbers fool you. Yes the T3-T4 is going to see better numbers ! But then again its all how you TUNE the car !
No way! Who said that already but got a barrage of private messages telling me that ati2ude has a GSR, not an LS so the numbers that I gave were way off?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well look at it like this...OPTIoNS ! DUH ! It's not very impressive numbers we all know that for the money, you can get a far better kit that can/will produce better numbers !
But...
it's a solid kit ! Smog legal ! It has it's place...

I think we all know here what the BEST KITS <---Keyword here "KITS"... are to get !

There is no debating that !

·
Registered
359 Posts
and on a smaller note.....an intercooler does make a great deal difference. i just noticed that that whp figure that you gave wasn't with an intercooler...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check this out.... http://www.tamparacing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29942

·
Registered
455 Posts
i was talkin just straight up kits nothing else , just what came with it and what it did, but of course tuning has so much to do with it that you would have to have the different kits to see what does the best i know that the best numbers wont mean your faster, its all about your powerband, where it is and how good it is, and i have done ALOT of reading, i wasnt saying that greddy sucks i just meant that the drag put up way better numbers even if it was intercooled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LS Integ... if u think the kit is weak.. than that is ur opinion... honestly i think thats pretty good consdiring that it can pass smog tests and what not... and i notice ur from San Daygo.. and if memory seves right dont u guys have mobile smog stations and the cops have enuff 411 to know which one is illegal.. well its up to you what u want.. but dont bag on those numbers.. because i think GREDDY is hella good..

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have seen very impressive numbers from the GReddy turbo kit. I have one myself and love it. It will spool much faster than a larger t3/t4 and the parts are better quality than the drag parts. The deltagate wastegate for example is worthless. The only bad thing about the GReddy kit is the air filter is restrictive, you should get a K&N and then you will be all set.

here is my setup

Greddy 18g turbo kit
Greddy type 24 intercooler (the larger one)
GReddy type s blow off valve
GReddy boost and EGT guages
Will be installed on saturday

·
Registered
136 Posts
GReddy turbo's are weak .. I almost beat a ls/turbo in an 01 GSR ... it was a VERY close race... and his was intercooled.

·
Registered
226 Posts
sure buddy, i bet you did. we can just call you MR earnheart JR. JR. then !
Think before you start spitting RICE

Take the words from you master VIN "IT doesent matter if you win by a inch or a mile winning is winning"

watch your favorite movie once again and realize its a MOVIE...

·
Registered
359 Posts
INSANE8 on Aug/24/02 said:
GReddy turbo's are weak .. I almost beat a ls/turbo in an 01 GSR ... it was a VERY close race... and his was intercooled.
wow. what an insane and extremely stupid generalization

just because the driver or tuning wasn't too good, don't blame the kit. you have no idea what was going on.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Can we please not turn this into a street racing post or spec war?

The Greddy is a great kit in terms of passing smog inspections and its streetability. It utilizes a Mitsubishi 18g turbo. Which is a great turbo for daily driving. Spools extremely quick vs. some of the other "bigger boys". Don't judge a specific part based on one dyno sheet that you saw. The guy could have the car tuned horribly and thus be putting down low numbers. I called Greddy when the LS kit first came out and they said that w/ proper tuning the kit will put down 170-180 whp w/ the correct tuning at their recommended boost amount.

The Drag is also a great kit, bigger whp numbers obviously. And a little pricier.

You won't be dissappointed w/ either one!

As to which one is better? Thats for YOU to decide. Do you want almost instant power w/ the greddy or do you want a little lag w/ more power up top? Remember guys, peak whp is not the absolute indicator of a car's acceleration........where the engine lays the power down in the powerband is more indicative of how "fast" the car will be.

I think Mike Delaney would agree with me on this one:
Transient Response is king. It dictates how fast your car accelerates from the lowest rpm to redline.

"Dyno queens are for queers"

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys for the info the reason i think its weak cuz the jackson racing superchargers pumps out the same hp and a little less torque than the greddy turbo kit. and its crazy how the same kit on a gsr puts out 70+ more ponies than on a ls

·
Registered
910 Posts
lsinteg97 on Aug/24/02 said:
thanks guys for the info the reason i think its weak cuz the jackson racing superchargers pumps out the same hp and a little less torque than the greddy turbo kit. and its crazy how the same kit on a gsr puts out 70+ more ponies than on a ls
you cant really compare the numbers between the two if you are referring to the gsr in the same mag. for two reasons:
1.That gsr looked a little more than stock so you dont know what it was putting out before the turbo kit.
2.The stock compression on a gsr is 10:1 vs. 9.2:1 on the ls, so 7 psi on a 10:1 C/R is gonna give more power than 7 psi on 9.2:1 C/R.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Plus it was intercooled....but I was thinking the same thing. Why'd the LS kit do so poor compared to the SI and GSR?? Luckly I have the SI kit on my RS..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts